Can I use my power supply to charge a car battery?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KC8BWS, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

2. N3EF

N3EF Ham Member QRZ Page

I was just poking fun. I know what a bridge rectifier is and I know what a wheatstone bridge is. Although their drawings may look similar, they are entirely two different things. It's fairly common to hear a bridge rectifier called a wheatstone bridge by a layman. Makes me smile every time I hear it.

Eric

3. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd be leery of putting a regulated power supply on a battery -- most designs won't tolerate voltage on the output when AC is NOT applied -- you may find yourself doing a rebuild of the pass transistors and regulator chip.

As long as the supply is just diodes and a filter cap you should be okay . . .

Most commercial chargers don't even have the filter, as it has been discovered that the pulsing DC is better for charging batteries.

Gary WA7KKP

4. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I had an Elmer who took delight in knocking the point off the top of my head every time I'd get one sharpened up nicely by interchanging proper terminology with something he though was close.

He was a damn savvy tech and he knew exactly what he meant when he would say something but many times you had to be able to read between the lines.

Its a habit I seem to have picked up from him.

“I know what I mean even if you don't” sort of thing
    {I'd put in a smily face but I don't seem to be able to find them just now}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.