ad: portazero-1

Can FLDIGI communicate with other software?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KE7IZL, Jul 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KE7IZL

KE7IZL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to use FLDIGI as a modem, to just modulate and demodulated text/data sent from other software. That would let me experiment with using it for things like telemetry, or even sending images over unique modes like 8PSK1000.

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Short answer is yes, I am sure it could. Long answer is, it's open source, so get in there and do a little software surgery.

3. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You might get a better answer by go joining the Win-FLDIGI group, or the linuxham group. The Win-FLDIGI group deals with Windows installations and the linuxham group deals with Linux, Unix, and OS-X installations. They may have the information you need already stored in the group.

K3DCW likes this.
  4. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've not had time to dabble much in these areas, but I'm certain it's possible:
    http://www.w1hkj.com/files/manuals/US_English/fldigi-help.pdf

Check section 2.7 Sound Card Configuration. Looks like you can click "File I/O only". Or if you're doing real-time streaming and have Linux+PulseAudio setup properly I suppose you could have one rig (or other source) collect the sound and stream it over an IP address to fldigi on a separate PC anywhere in the world for the decoding.

73, KD0KZE / Paul

5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

It should work with any software to supports a virtual audio cable. It also works with software that supports the FLDigi 'engine', like the N1MM+ contesting software.

6. KE7IZL

KE7IZL Ham Member QRZ Page

@KD0KZE and @VA3VF your suggestions only describe alternate ways of outputting sound (to a wav file, or via virtual audio cable respectively). I'm talking about how can I send text (or even raw binary data for modes that support 8-bit bytes instead of 7-bit bytes) using FLDIGI as a modem, instead of simply using it as the end-software (sending and receiving text typed in FLDIGI itself).

FLDIGI's fastest 8-PSK mode is EXTREMELY fast, and would be a great way to send small pictures, if there way some way to write an external program to communicate with with FLDIGI (have FLDIGI listen on at TCP port, and then have the external program connect to FLDIGI and send payload to be transmitted by FLDIGI via the TCP connection).