Camp "Telegraph Office"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7BHP, Aug 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

I also find it most peculiar.

These forms of discussion about 'legality' in amateur radio is almost unheard of in my part of the world.

Amateurs have a broad picture of the rules, and knowing that they never will be enforced, apply them with some common sense.

The prohibition of international third-party traffic dates back to the 1932 Madrid Radiotelegraph Conference.

Here, it was noted by European regulators that the ARRL traffic relay system could move quite a lot of traffic in an era when a sizable fraction of a nation's international telecommunications was contained in a few radiotelegraph circuits. In Europe, telecommunications, both domestic and international, were Government monopolies, and circumvention was illegal.

The following language was added to the 1927 regulations, which incidentally lived on into the 1970s essentially unchanged:

"When such exchange is permitted, the communications must be conducted in plain language and must be limited to messages relating to the experiments and to remarks of a personal character for which, by reason of their unimportance, recourse to the public telegraph service would be out of the question. The licensees of amateur stations are absolutely forbidden to transmit international communications on behalf of third parties".

Today, the international traffic capacity that may be provided by amateur radio is so small that it can be safely neglected compared to even medium-capacity gateways.

Many countries have dropped their domestic prohibitions, and those that still keep them have not enforced them in "modern times".

The only "enforcement" I have heard of in "recent times" was by "control freaks" that monitored the traffic through AMTOR or packet mailboxes and sent angry messages to users that sent messages in languages other than their native, accusing them of passing commercial or encrypted traffic...
    (I got this story from a diplomat previously stationed in Tokyo and fluent in Japanese, that used a Kanji word-processor as a packet terminal)

Amateur radio, and especially its organised flavour, is abundant with "control freaks".

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    AA7EJ, KX4O and KX4Z like this.
  2. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow... History. Stuff I wished I knew. Thanks for teaching us that!
    Gordon

3. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess most of the people here know that the National Traffic System still uses CW on many nets....and might be DELIGHTED to hold a special net, or even dispatch an operator to help you out -- if in deed you really want to do this over CW. Which is FINE with me, I moved a fair bit of traffic over CW as a teen. Not nearly as fast now, but retiiring on Jan 10 and things may change!!! However, times to change, and now I have a bazillion ways to use amateur radio. I still can't get down below 160 meters (that may change....) but now I can go all the way to 2.395 GHz....missing a few bands in the process, but still it is ALL ham radio. Whatever turns your crank!!!

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Short messages: Great idea. Do it!

Wire transfers: Bad idea. Even if technically legal, which I don’t think it is, this opens up a lot of gray areas and ethical concerns. Best to avoid it altogether.

5. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked a bit more on YOUR project over the weekend....in between getting stuff done for the course 6 of us were teaching.....