ad: elecraft

Camp "Telegraph Office"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7BHP, Aug 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The signal goes up, is refracted (bent) by the ionosphere & is reflected (bounced) off of the earth. - That's how ya get multi-hop signals. Refraction & Reflection.

The amount of refraction is determined by the "Angle of Incidence" & the frequency being operated on.

Here's a good refresher read on HF radio wave propagation:
    https://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/pdf-hell/article-radio-propagation-N4UFP.pdf

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know all that.

My post was in response to the claim that NVIS is "not ionospheric propagation".

3. N2EY

That's all well and good, but it completely misses the point.

WZ7U and WN1MB like this.
  4. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I don’t get too bent out of shape about minor word choices, that is an excellent review, thank you very much for pointing it out I enjoyed reading it

W5BIB likes this.
  5. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Well that’s quite possible; here is what I thought was the point, can you explain how I missed it?

“So I thought it would be fun to set up a telegraph office at the camp that ran for about 1 hour in the middle of the week. We could make up telegraph cards for parents to fill out and turn into my wife (technician class ham) here in town . During the scheduled hour the telegraph office is open at the camp, she would send the messages on to me via CW HF and I would copy all the messages and print them out on telegrams to be given to the campers. Since my girls go to camp they could get involved working at the telegraph office helping me copy the messages and printing them out on the telegrams and delivering them.

This would give the kids a chance to receive short messages from their folks in the middle of the week and it would make a fun showcase of ham radio. When today's youth are separated from the ability to communicate for a week they feel it greatly. “

Are you trying to say that only peer to peer CW is a demonstration of amateur radio, and even if you involve others as relays, it no longer demonstrates amateur radio?

W5BIB and WU8Y like this.
  6. N2EY

I think the point was to demonstrate the use of Radio and Morse Code as a practical way to send messages.

Those other modes are essentially computer to computer communications. Nothing wrong with that, but nothing unique, either.

"Camp" is often a way of connecting with simpler ways of doing things, of getting away from the complexities of modern life. Cooking over an open fire rather than in a microwave. Hiking rather than driving. Telling stories rather than watching them in a screen. Basic crafts, outdoor skills, etc.

Radio for radio's sake. The journey as much as the destination. The medium as much as the message.

160 miles is right next door on 80 or 40 CW.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    WZ7U, KX4O and WN1MB like this.
  7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I also enjoyed it. I taught "Radio Wave Propagation" as a "U.S. Navy CTR" instructor 49 years ago. I thought it was a very well-written article that shed a lot of light on today's propagation (or, lack there-of).
    It was a good refresher read for me too.

8. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it peculiar when "an idea" gets first dissected with "is it legal?", then psychoanalyzed ( "will it scar the kid character?")

It it very clear most amateur radio operators are unfamiliar with WHY FCC discourages "ordering pizza via amateur radio" . ( It is OK that most / some of do not care one way or the other ).

Such "rules" were added to protect business ( money making enterprise ) communication outfits from unscrupulous amateur radio operators making a habit to bypass such "services" , even for free.

The question should be asked - when "X telegraph and telephone company" is no longer thriving business processing telegrams ( in 21cetury) - what big dent to their annual stockholder report will operating "Telegraph office in Camp Wheretheheckarewe" cause?

Will their stock plummet?

BTW assuming there really(?) are NO means to quickly communicate to / from he camp - can you share how the "management" plans to handle real life threatening situation? (S..t happens ) Just curious.

PS
    You need to have real telegraph operator cap, nice "sounder" and "ticker tape".
    Best of luck, great idea to show there was a life before iPhone.

73 Shirley ...-.- ..

9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Bingo!

Coincidentally, I'm in "two week countdown mode" for my annual vacation of 2 weeks of tent camping in New York state's Adirondack Mountain wilderness. Looking forward to operating September SKCC WES with QRP from the quiet woods!

KX4O likes this.
  10. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

So you drew a much narrower "point" than what I bolded from the original request -- but even then, is is possible that missed something in what I wrote? Did you notice that I included:

"The national traffic system does this every single day "
    Had you thought of the possibility that a kindly NTS net might be willing to assist in this? I didn't read closely, but was one of the planned protagonists actually new to CW? Perhaps either enlisting some HELP from some NTS folks, or using a (gasp!) computer to help her sending or reading skills?

People crack me up. Was it worth an argument?
    Cheers
    Gordon

W5BIB likes this.