Camp "Telegraph Office"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7BHP, Aug 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to be young and easily confused.
    I'm no longer young... :p
    I agree. It's all downhill from there. My memory isn't what it used to be, and my memory isn't what it used to be. :p

2. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Ordering pizza has never been against FCC regulations. The FCC even stated that it was OK. But, you cannot run a business with ham radio.

John
    K4AGO

KX4Z likes this.
  3. K4AGO

A low dipole antenna is pretty much going to send a signal up and down in a localized area. It should work no matter what the propagation because it is not really using ionospheric propagation; ir is just reflection like an NVIS signal.

It should work fine.
    John
    K4AGO

4. K4AGO

A contact is a two way communication. Other wise it is broadcasting.

Every radio gram I have sent or received in Air Force MARS was acknowledged. Otherwise you have no way of knowing if the transmission was received. What the OP is talking about will most definitely be two way communication.

Yes calling CQ is in a sense broadcasting; calling CQ, however, is not illegal.

5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

What you might consider doing, whichever band you decide to use, is to recruit some big gun volunteers in areas likely to have good propagation. Then, at camp, you can pick out the one with the best signal and let them handle the traffic. The messages can go to that station via radio, but I would just use e-mail to send the messages and coordinate.

One advantage of doing this is that it would allow you to use 20 meters, meaning that the antenna would be a lot shorter.

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, it's ionospheric propagation just the same. The signal goes up, bounces off the ionosphere, comes back down 100 miles away or so.

7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's why I wrote "transmitting". Not "broadcasting".

To the FCC, "broadcasting" has a specific meaning: transmissions of general interest intended for the general public.

Beacon stations, bulletin stations, code practice stations, radio control, telemetry, and calling CQ by amateurs are not "broadcasting". They are permitted one-way transmissions.

8. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Her CW privilidges are limited to 3 bands ( last time I looked ) and the way propagation has been the last 2 months .... nothing is a given.
    80m and 40m are a good maybe and I wouldn't even consider 15m a possibility.
    But then again, all three may be wide open!

9. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

You know there are several systems already built that could do this for you fairly easily.

ALE can handle short messages
    JS8 would do this easily
    The national traffic system does this every single day
    The digital version of the national traffic system also
    And then there is thay system that no one likes to admit, WINLINK. — moves tens of thousands of messages like this every month

Anyone of those systems would completely obliterate the propagation concerns you have

A fantastic way to demonstrate amateur radio.
    For the open minded

WU8Y likes this.
  10. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

oops...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    WN1MB likes this.