Camp "Telegraph Office"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7BHP, Aug 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was referring to N7BHP, who started the thread.....but I realized afterwards that I was mistaken.

What N7BHP proposes is a system for parents to send radiograms TO campers. I misinterpreted the idea as being to send radiograms FROM campers. So, the reality is that most of the transmitting would be by N7BHP's wife, at the home station, not by N7BHP at camp.

MY BAD!! Apologies for the confusion.

Of course the system could send radiograms both ways....

2. N7BHP

N7BHP Ham Member QRZ Page

I would love to send radiograms both ways. However, my wife does not feel confident enough with her morse code for receiving messages. This way all she has to copy on her end is my call sign, "R R" for copy successful, and "?" for repeat. Perhaps next year if she feels better with CW. Or perhaps one of my daughters (who are actually better at morse than their mother) will get their license and will be able to run the camp end of the line while I stay home and run the town end. So for this year, we will probably just send messages one way and see how it goes. Hopefully it will be well received hihi.

N2EY and KX4O like this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a great idea, do let us know how it goes. I also think a mix of modes might be interesting - CW to start to show "old school", but if the event is spread over a few days throwing in SSB or a digital mode (PSK-31, Olivia, etc.) might be a "bridge" to kids who like/use computers.

Good luck!

KX4O likes this.
  4. N7BHP

Thanks KV6O! I’d love to expand this idea out like that as I gain gear and such depending on how well this pilot attempt works.

KA4DPO likes this.
  5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I still have two pads of those in box somewhere.:D

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the best ways to build Morse Code skills is....traffic handling. When I was just starting out, and for years after, it REALLY helped me.

Consider having a bunch of test messages that you can send each other, first at home and then when away.

Also, your daughters can be involved, both sending and receiving, as long as a licensed operator is present as control operator.

73 de Jim, N2EY

7. N7BHP

Katie, our 14 year old would like to try copying the traffic. Maria (my wife) will send at a speed Katie can copy (5-10 WPM) and I will be behind Katie making my own copy for her to check her work against. Of course this depends on us all being diligent to practice and prepare now. If Katie does well it might motivate her to test for her license and if she does that, this year might prepare her and her sister for running the camp end on their own next year.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  8. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

telegram.jpg

WZ7U and KP4SX like this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's amazing how fast kids can learn Morse code, isn't it?

My daughter Robyn was sick with a flu or something back when she was about 9 or 10 years old, and back then cell phones were for using voice and although kids had computers, they weren't so interesting as they are today. Facebook etc. didn't exist yet.

So she was bored out of her mind and I decided, "Let's have some fun, and you'll learn Morse code." We sat at the kitchen table with a cheap Ameco code practice oscillator and a hand key, and I started sending to her. She never wrote anything down, just listened as I sent the alphabet and said out loud which letter was which.

No joke, she had the alphabet nailed in about an hour, and I could send the letters in any order and she still knew them. We went to the numbers, which are more logical, and she nailed those easily. I don't recall if we did any punctuations or symbols, it was a long time ago. But I was amazed how fast she just got it all.

And she had about a 102 fever and wasn't feeling well.

A month later, I could send her sentences in code, like "How do you feel today" or something and she didn't even have to think about it, knew exactly what was sent, and would just say, "Fine, thank you."

She had no interest in ham radio and never got licensed. Now it's almost 20 years later and I think she still remembers the code.:p

Kids are amazing. It's the best time to learn, probably anything.

KX4O and WN1MB like this.
  10. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the idea is a great one. Don't read too much into the FCC rules regarding business and ham radio. What you are thinking about with the "wire transfer" scheme is NOT violating the Part 97 regulations. It is legal to order a pizza over a repeater as far as the FCC is concerned. You can also sell your own ham radio equipment on the ham bands. You cannot sell others people's equipment. A repeater owner can set his own rules about what is allowed on his repeater; as long as it does not nullify the FCC rules. Our club rules state that religion and politics will get you banned from the repeater.

I think you should go for it; including the "wire transfer" scheme. But I would make sure the kids know that you cannot conduct business with ham radio.

Good luck with your idea. I admire you for your interest in promoting ham radio.

John
    K4AGO