Camp "Telegraph Office"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7BHP, Aug 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

For that distance on 40 meters you might look at the military AS-2259 GR NVIS antenna. There is a modified version with coils near the feed point to bring the resonance into the 40 and 75 meter ham bands. Our club just built the modified version this week for a special event next weekend. Initial tests look very promising for 200-300 mile QSOs - especially on 40 meters. DXE has complete kits if you want to go that way.

WZ7U likes this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe an antenna build for the kids might be in order...

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great!

A note on "NVIS"...

You really don't need a special antenna. IMHO your best bet is a simple wire such as a 40 meter dipole or inverted V.

QRP may work, but more power can be a real asset, particularly since you will be doing most of the transmitting.

You probably want to set up some kind of schedule for more than one day and more than one time of day.

There's no need to overdo the "theme" aspect for the first time. A little goes a long way.

I don't know your CW speed, but remember that the other op has to write down or type the incoming Morse exactly right. So allow adequate time for each message.

There are standard procedures for CW message handling....I think they are on the ARRL website.

I wish I could go with you!

73 de Jim, N2EY

K4AGO and KX4O like this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

@N7BHP

Afterwards, please come back and tell us how it went!

K4AGO likes this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Bingo!

6. N7BHP

N7BHP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all the input. Whether I end up using 40 meters or 80 meters it will probably be an endfed wire strung out in a low inverted V configuration. I have found this to be a very effective short range antenna. With 80 meters it's like having a telephone with a 200 mile range. Even QRP gives s7 plus signals with phone. We might be a little too close for 40 meters but I hope not. It will be in the afternoon before 40 goes long. I'll certainly report back in a few weeks and let y'all know how it goes.

K4AGO likes this.
  7. N7BHP

N7BHP Ham Member QRZ Page

As for the "wire transfer" idea, I thought of it not so that kids could be sent money who needed it. They all get sent to camp with plenty of money at the start of the week. It was for the educational aspect of it. I know that when I learned that people used to send each other money with morse code it blew me away. I thought that a live demonstration of that would show them how that used to work while at the same time some might be as impressed by it as I was. I thought it might add another element of interest and education to the demonstration. But as N2EY says, a little can go a long way. Hopefully they'll be tickled pink just to be getting a telegram from their folks.

8. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

With current propagation, this may be a serious limiting factor.
    But this is a cool idea.

9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How so?

This past Field Day, the group I was with made over 900 QSOs on 40 CW, all over the USA and Canada, running 100 watts and a good antenna.

Yes!!

10. K4TTJ

K4TTJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When you say, ".......since you will be doing most.......", to whom are you referring?