Camp "Telegraph Office"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7BHP, Aug 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N7BHP

N7BHP Ham Member QRZ Page

That form would be perfect for it. Thanks N2EY! I agree with practicing first. We want it to go well and leave the kids with a good impression of ham radio. It wouldn't be good to wing it unprepared. The more "authentic telegraph office" we can make the more fun it will be. We have a few weeks to prepare though, thankfully.

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think so also, not that the FCC is exactly monitoring what we do (!) but technically amateur radio is supposed to be used when other sources of communications cannot be, which is why "ordering a pizza" via autopatch and such were always deemed unlawful. "Wiring funds" probably falls into that same category, when there are commercial services that do that.

But if this is just a case of someone at the camp having the money and simply being instructed to please give it to a child, then it might be okay; e.g., "Joe, please give Kathy $5, I'll pay you back when you return." Something like that is likely fine -- that's not "wiring money," it's just asking a favor.:)

BTW I think the whole idea of a "telegraph office" is great.

When I was in middle school (8th grade) we always had a during-the-school-year trip to the deep woods that was called "Experiment in Living," and led by a science teacher and a history teacher who both happened to be young, and great, and friends outside of school. Only students who had a GPA of 3.5 or above were allowed to attend, and they had to have a 3.5 or higher in science to qualify -- but that was still a lot of kids.

My year it was about 40 kids or so, all age about 13 and it was 50/50 boys and girls. It was the very first time for most of us "bunking" with anyone of the opposite sex who wasn't a sibling, which ranged from embarrassing to enlightening. The trips were 5 days and 4 nights and were to a remote forested area deeply into a state forest, but even that place did have camping provisions set up by the state.

It's what I'd call "off grid," at least then it was. The "educational" part is we had to scavange for stuff to eat (you learn to find mushrooms, wild berries, all sorts of edible stuff although the teachers had to approve it all before devouring it) but of course also had "real" food to supplement that (or we would have starved), including of course marshmallows for the evening campfires. But we learned to actually eat leaves (!) if the teachers deemed them edible. We could swim in a pond, and set up a distillation system to make drinking water from the same pond, which had lots of fish in it! Distilling required making another fire. We got good at making fires. We had to use water from a brook (ice cold) to take showers, which we had to set up ourselves, and made homebrew "water heaters" out of plastic bags in the sun and stuff.

And we boys took advantage of sneak peeks at the girls. They probably did the same thing, based on observed giggling.

It was a terrific experience, one I wish every 13 year-old could have. But we did not have a telegraph or mail system of any kind!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    N2EY likes this.
  4. N7BHP

N7BHP Ham Member QRZ Page

N2EY Thanks for the link as well. We can use all the help we can get and if anybody has any more suggestions we are all ears. I thought of getting shirts or visors like the guys on the CW vs SMS video and maybe an old typewriter to copy on.

WB2WIK, I tend to agree with you, which is why I even considered it. In fact, a few years ago the FCC reworded the law to say monetary gain instead of "business". This was to clear up the ambiguity that led hams to believe that ordering a pizza over the auto patch was impermissible. If I remember rightly, when the FCC made the wording change, they used the pizza ordering example specifically when saying that that is the kind of thing we can actually do. Many hams still are afraid to go there and it does get sticky so perhaps it's best just to steer clear of it.

KX4O and N0TZU like this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

May not be such a foul at the FCC but there's probably a whole pile of laws regulating Western Union, Paypal and other money sending entities.
    Yeah, steer clear.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd steer clear only because "other means are available."

But it's not a biggie. The days of ham radio autopatch are many years behind us almost everywhere.

What's always separated ham radio from other services is in our service we can call CQ with very substantial TX power and without directing the call to anyone and respond to anyone who answers; and we can build our own transmitters.:p

7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea except for the "wiring money" part.

Why test the waters?

Anyway - as you mentioned, it's only a week at camp. Any kid running out of spending money can learn a valuable lesson in money management. I remember one such lesson at Boy Scout camp years ago - so I offered to do Mess Hall duty for those disinterested in such labor ... for a fee. I quickly replenished my trading post account and then some!

An added bonus was by being a hard worker, the paid Mess Hall staff said I could stop by anytime if I was hungry or otherwise just wanted a snack!

Very fond memories.

WZ7U likes this.
  8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh Jeez... Thanks for the "Ear Worm" :rolleyes:

I'll be hummin' this all weekend now !!!

WN1MB likes this.
  9. K9KQX

K9KQX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Several years ago, a man was being sent by train by his family to check on another family member who wasn't doing well. The sending-off included several mentions of "You can send ten words for a dollar."

Next morning they received the following telegram:

Arrived safely.
    Father dead.
    Funeral Tuesday.
    Rangers 2
    Celtics 1