CALL SIGN PHONETICS SLOWLY ! PLEASE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5UPI, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had too much of the LDS ever since I first heard of them.

They have a cool temple downtown L.A., though, with a statue of a guy blowing a horn.

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I love that green tuna salad jello.

Actually I've found them to be some really nice folk.
    At least the ones I met in Texas.

By the way, you would be a good one to ask;
    Anybody ever work fallout scatter on VHF?

3. WB2WIK

Not sure. When I had a big station on VHF back in NJ (kilowatts, many stacked beams, etc) I used to work all sorts of scatter, and it's really hard to tell what the signals are scattering from.

4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was wondering, I also wonder if the background noise would rise from fallout.
    I'm sure if it's strong enough there would be some wideband noise increase.

/We now return to our regularly scheduled thread.

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure I felt one of them hit me.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. KK7EL

KK7EL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Try using Yokohama as phonetic for Y ?

7. K1DNR

K1DNR Ham Member QRZ Page

If something works for *you* use it. Its that simple.

What I'm giving you is from the NATO phonetic alphabet, ratified by the ITU, ARRL, FAA, etc...

I'm saying that if people standardized, it might be easier for *all* of us.

Hearing US amateurs sign their calls "Mickey Mouse, or Donald Duck" is just embarrassing :D

8. WB2WIK

That's been tried millions and millions of times since the new ICAO alphabet was created 50 years ago. Like many things created by committee, it sucks. I don't think it's any better in any way than the previous standardized phonetic alphabet used during WW2, which was Able Baker Charlie David Easy Frank... That one wasn't good, either.:p

You might tell that to Top Gun DX'er N7 Donald Duck (look him up, he's on top of the Honor Roll and disproves the theory that you can't put up big towers and antennas in Tucson -- a complaint I've read here several times).:)

9. K1DNR

K1DNR Ham Member QRZ Page

I know exactly who Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse are... Just having some fun. Easy OM.

10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

CS:

I know that there are those, like you, who believe that the ICAO phonetics cannot fail and that "if" everyone would use them all problems would just go away. Unfortunately, the ICAO phonetics were designed for professional, well trained (including elimination of accents and "correct" pronunciation of the words) operators, operating under mostly ideal conditions, and so forth. Unfortunately, with various accents (both foreign and domestic), and especially with those with whom English is not the primary language, the ICAO phonetics just plain do not work in many situations!

A while back, RAF pilots would taunt USAF pilots by "authenticating" messages in which the "authentication" was "Yankee Yankee". Finally, the USAF pilots got to "authenticating" messages to which the "authentication" was "LL". However, instead of using the accepted "Lima Lima", the USAF pilots would say "Limey Limey". The RAF pilots soon stopped taunting the USAF pilots.

When using phonetics you have to use whatever works and, unfortunately, the ICAO phonetics often do NOT work. I have told this story numerous times but it is an excellent example of using what works instead of a "standard" phonetic alphabet.

There is a YL operator, who lives a few blocks from me, who's call ends in the letter "I". She was working a DX station and, for some reason, the DX station just could not get "I" as the last letter of her call. She used the ICAO "India" several times but that did not work. She tried "Italy" and that didn't work. She tried several other words starting with the letter "I" and that didn't work. Finally, frustrated, she screamed out "IDIOT". The DX station got her call correct!

I often have problems when working DX with my call. Many times the DX will confuse "Tango" with "Bravo" and "Hotel" with "Lima". The "Sierra" gets lost in translation and the DX station comes back with any number of letters. Even "Kilo" gets confused. The DX station is usually not having much, if any, problems copying me because I often "one call" the DX station. However, if I use Kilowatt Nine Spain Texas Honolulu, the DX station gets the correct call in over 99.99 percent of the time.

The topic of ICAO (sometimes called NATO) phonetics comes up almost weekly here on QRZ.com. The same people chime in with why the ICAO phonetics are so good and the same people come back with all the reasons that the ICAO phonetics don't work for amateur radio operation.

WIK:

The old military phonetic for "D" was "Dog", not "David". "David" is the accepted phonetic in the APCO phonetic alphabet used by law enforcement. Now I don't have any idea as to what the letter "D" is in Navajo, but, obviously, the "Code Talkers" of World War II had one.

Glen, K9STH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.