CALL SIGN PHONETICS SLOWLY ! PLEASE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5UPI, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I also struggle with phonetics, I hear sierra and write C. Sierra isn't that common and the beginning sound is C. Is it just me on this word?

Several other of the standard phonetics are not common words.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sierra's a lousy phonetic. The phonetic should clearly sound like the letter it represents and preferably be a word in all languages, or as many languages as possible.

That's why city and country names are pretty good; they're recognizable in dozens of languages.

Phonetics that are only one or two syllables aren't as good as ones that use more, as the "longer" phonetics will ride through QSB better (proven by use, by thousands, over many years).

3. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I find that I tend to drift into a combination of the old Army/Navy phonetics, ICAO, and geographic names. I like 'Ida' or 'Item' for 'I' - the long vowel sound works better for me. I try to use ICAO in formal situations, like nets, mostly in deference to those who aren't familiar with the older alphabets. In my youth, it was much more common to hear the military alphabet than ICAO - which wasn't adopted until 1956. The older 'Able-Baker' alphabet was widely used until the mid-60's. 'Radio' is the best for 'R', even though it's not part of any standard phonetic alphabet that I know of.

4. WB2WIK

I agree with you. For some letters the "old" military phonetics were better, for some they weren't. Radio does work very well.

Listen to what "Top Gun" DXers and contesters use; they almost always use what works best.

I can't recall ever hearing a JA station use "Juliet" for the JA. They use "Japan." What a surprise.;)

Listen to French stations. While you'd think they should use "France" for "F," they mostly use "Florida." It's easier to hear. They never use "Foxtrot."

Top Guns almost never use "Oscar" for O. It doesn't sound like an O. I do hear many using "Ocean."

And on it goes...

5. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

As there are many... one local ham used to identify with "T as in ptomaine, C as in seashore, Y as in Wyoming". You may have known him from your days of traveling through upstate NY (more specifically, Corning) :D

People came up with some interesting phonetics for my former call signs:

"Doesn't Want Nags"

"Dirtball Radio (or the entire call... Kilo Dilo 2 Dilo Rilo)"

With my current call, the possibilities are endless. ;)

6. WB2WIK

Was that the guy who used to say, "Good morning this morning 'til the next morning, from Corning?"

7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, so here are mine slowly:

Kay .................... Eight.................... Easy.................... Roger....................... Victor.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. WB2WIK

Earnestly Remembering Vanna.

9. AD4DQ

AD4DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I pick mine for the Dairy Queen..... AD4DQ..... heading out to the DQ! Later.....

10. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish more would use phonetics, I must have hit my head one too many times some of the letters sound the same.
    My hearing works reasonable well but it ether was one too many knocks on the head or too much LDS back in the sixties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.