Call me the incandescer!

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KL7AJ, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I ran across 435 gajillion of these 48 volt telco lamps....the plug-in type they used to use for mutltiline phones and PBXs and such. Since they're incandescent, they're probably contraband. But I found out something I can do with them. I can drill a bunch of holes in a panel in the shape of letters (like my callsign) and then poke all these lamps into the holes and wire them all up like a grown-up "lite bright" thingy. Maybe I could go into the surplus telco lamp illuminated callsgn desk lamp thngy manufacturing business. Or not.

Anyway...there's probably something I can do with these....If I ever have lots of time to do something inane.

Now you know.

Eric

2. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably a bigger market for the signs than for a transistorized HO-10, sad to say. Especially if the signs are RF activated.

ON THE AIR!

3. WA6TKD

WA6TKD Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds like enough to melt all the tundra up there, you could be the 'greenies' worst nightmare.

4. ZL2MGS

ZL2MGS Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I remember of many years of changing the things when they failed, the standard 48 volt types generate a lot of heat, so I'd be fairly cautious about mounting a stack of them in friction fit holes - either I'd use a non-flamable material or, at the very least, make the panel as thin as possible to allow for maximum heat dissipation.

IIRC, these lamps came in standard 48 volt, low dissipation 48 volt (identified by a gap between the envelope and the base), 24 volt, 12 volt and (rare) 6 volt versions - you could identify the different voltage ratings by the colour of the base as well as it being stamped on the side contacts.

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I might want to call you a lot of things, but incandescer is not one of them.

I save odd lamps to use as components. Due to their semi-constant current characteristic they can make good series resistors in
    chargers etc, also serving as a pilot light, and maybe even a fuse.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. WN6U

WN6U Ham Member QRZ Page

They can be used in clean audio oscillators also.

7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Nother old timer.

Wien bridge.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yippee ! I've got two new words for my Dictionary of New American Words. First one, incandescer, and this I like, Mutitiline, is this pronounced moo / titty/ line ?

9. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Make a highly complicated easy bake oven!

10. WN6U

WN6U Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the one. I couldn't remember the name cause I'm getting old. :)

11. K7ELP

K7ELP Ham Member QRZ Page

You could put three in series and connect them to 120V. That way they would probably last for ever.
    I developed a simple circuit to eliminate the surge current on incandescant lamps when the power is first turned on. I have reading lights on my bed that have been in for about 10 years.

12. AG3Y

AG3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Heathkit made one of them there Wein Bridge oscillators. Pretty decent piece of equipment, too !

13. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You realize this is the circuit that put Hewlett-Packard on the map! One of the "buds"...forgot which one...came up with the light bulb feedback regulatator.

Eric

14. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember those lights...
    I don't think I can ever remember seeing one burnt out on a Bell System Phone.

15. AG3Y

AG3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, I don't believe that they ever burned too brightly. After all, they were viewed directly, and didn't have to throw much light.

My first job was with Western Electric. I saw a LOT of those bulbs in my early years !

16. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

New ones for my dictionary also. However, these words may only be in the Alaskan dictionary.

fp

17. AG3Y

AG3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, he wanted to have someone call him an "incandescer" - - - OK, you're an incandescer ! Happy now ? ? ?

73, Jim

18. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall they ran the 12v ones on 10v, on the 1A2 key systems. I still have some of those phones sitting on the shelf in my shop. I think there is a KSU with lines cards as well in one of those boxes. Heck I don't even have a land line anymore. I guess one could get a few Magic Jacks and have at it! Remember the red hold button?

19. AG3Y

AG3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I seem to remember a button on a standard desk phone, that allowed you to listen on the line, while de-activating the microphone. I wonder what someone would want to hide ? Why that, instead of "hold" ?

20. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Eric, you make me wax nostalgic for those days 20+ years ago when part of my job was PBX-90 attendant. Lots and lots of those lamps and keys and buttons and Starsets. And that was just the twin consoles. For every lamp on the consoles, there was a corresponding lamp on the client's phone, plus a message waiting lamp.

The 'high tech' message center was an array of 'pigeon hole' slots. There was a slot for each client, plus spares, 2 high x 48 across. If my partner or I took a written message, we'd place the message in the slot, breaking the stream between an IR light source and detector. The breaking of the stream illuminated the message waiting lamp on the client's desk phone. We even used that system as a 'hot under the color' warning system. If a transfered call cycled back to an incoming line, and the caller insisted on holding, we'd slide a piece of paper in an out of the slot to make the client's message waiting lamp flash. Some of the clients thought we pushed a button to make it happen, a system feature, until they came up to get their messages and saw one of us 'flashing' another client.

Ahhh, how I miss my Ma Bell!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.