ad: ProAudio-1

Call Frequency, or Dangerous QRM?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Nov 11, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

N4DFP writes

"The other day, I was checked in to the Maritime Mobile Service Net. Ususally, this net runs smoothly with one check-in after another, handled by proficient, courteous net controllers. USUALLY there is no priority traffic, but this time there was a Maritime Mobile requesting assistance in contacting a doctor. Fortunately it wasn't an emergency. QRM from up frequency wiped out the Maritime Mobile for almost all on frequency.</p>

I am a truck driver and a Ham, so I feel obliged and qualified to make the following statement: I strongly feel that there should be a recognized calling frequency for truckers using Ham radio in their trucks. However, as a Ham I understand on-air etiquette. While technically 2.5KHz is the barest limit for spacing between QSO's, the 3KHz bandwidth of a single side band signal insures that there will be interference to a greater or lesser degree. Intercon and MSN have been established on 14300KHz for decades and have provided valuable service to deployed service personnel and maritime mobiles with distinction. I feel that the ad hoc selection of 14302.5KHz for a Truck Driver's calling frequency is WRONG. Truck Drivers are the newcomers, and as such need to select another frequency."</P>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.