California takes "space" out of Ham Plates

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K7FE, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-assoc
  1. W6AWS

W6AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Having a family member who works in the California Assembly, I am familiar with who was involved in this effort. As I have been told, the members who directly contacted DMV Legislative Unit were Assemblymember Mike Feuer, Assemblymember Doug LaMalfa, Senator Dave Cox, and Assemblywoman Sharon Runner.

I would highly recommend that California Amateurs contact these members offices either via phone, letter, or email and thank them for their efforts! We may need them for the next "battle", and we want them to remember how gracious the Amateur community was!

If there are other members who participated, please post up their names so we can give them credit also!

Grass Roots does work sometimes. ;)

Andy W6AWS

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  2. W6AWS

3. K6KGO

K6KGO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the great news. I received my ham plates a few days ago from DMV and of course they were imprinted with the space between the number 6 and the first letter of my call (i.e. K6 KGO).

Thanks to you, I know how to proceed to get the plates reissued with no space. Thanks for all your effort and for taking the time to pass the good news along to the rest of us.

Steven Gibson, K6KGO
    Lake Almanor, CA

4. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's what 'Bama's plates look like:

View attachment 15439

Send the Sacramento folks a good example to copy.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  5. NF0A

NF0A Ham Member QRZ Page

Everybody flies past Louisiana just because....

6. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm surprised they are issuing them without having you surrender the other ones. Usually they are quite picky about that......

I know every time I've applied for new or vanity plates I had to surrender them at the time of application. I know these are replacements, but still, every time I've had to surrender the old ones and have the dreaded "loser sticker" in the back window till the new ones showed up....

7. NF0A

NF0A Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish that existed 9 years ago back home!

I had a plate similer to above but put eagle, globe & anchor to the left of plate and was good enough then. Oranges are for orange juice and myflorida.com is for ???...:D
    Semper fi
    de NFØA (Former N4FPO)

8. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

The purpose of having a vehicle registration plate is so the number is on display for those in authority who need to know, the police and other government organisations. The number needs to be identifiable from a distance its purpose is not to show the motoring world and your neighbours and friends that your official radio callsign is now on a mobile display unit. Why the CA licensing authority should be interested in this is a mystery, unless in their view having the numbers together makes it more difficult for the cops to remember the number or write it down. Seems to me that they have the same kind of brain activation as those employed by the European Union in Brussels who once discussed the shape of bananas from various parts of the world.

G0GQK

9. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

I prefer not to let people know that K5CO is not at home when I'm travelling. Vanity plates seem like an invitation to a burglar. But I have to congratulate anyone that can get anywhere with the United Communist State of California.

10. W6AWS

That is a consideration. However, Mrs. W6AWS is home with a Glock, so I don't worry! ;)

Having Ham plates has allowed me to meet some pretty neat people. Hams are a friendly bunch, and rarely a trip goes by I don't have someone come up to me and tell me their callsigns. I have even had dinner on a business trip with a couple of Hams from Washington State who saw my call plates and invited me to join them.

To me, so far the reward has outwayed the risk!

Andy W6AWS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.