California HF Emergency Frequencies

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE7CUP, Nov 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. VE7CUP

VE7CUP Subscriber QRZ Page

Does anyone have Red Cross liaison or Emergency HF frequencies for the wildfire situation in California ?
    Tnx, Ric, VE7CUP

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why would there be an amateur HF emergency frequency for a fire? The public service agencies in California have their own extensive communication networks.

If AR does somehow try to get involved in the fire, the details will be front and center on ARRL.org.

K4AGO, PD0JBV, W4RAV and 3 others like this.
  3. W9RLG

W9RLG Ham Member QRZ Page

The best thing for AR operators to do is to stay out of the area. These fires are nothing to play with or even be in the area. Mostly they would cause more problems for firefighters that they would do good, but that is only my $.02 worth. Just more people to worry about getting out of the way than they already have.

Bob

KJ4RT, NL7W, N3AB and 1 other person like this.
  4. VE7CUP

VE7CUP Subscriber QRZ Page

As stated, I was mostly interested in the Red Cross Amateur liaison frequencies, as I have been asked by a few locals of the health and welfare of friends and relatives in California. Has nothing to do with "being in the fire area, or getting in the way" Tnx, Ric

K8AI, WU8Y, KA0HCP and 1 other person like this.
  5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KK5JY

I would be even more surprised if Red Cross relief efforts were using radio. Cell phones are more confidential, and it's easier to find people who can volunteer with a cell phone than with an AR setup.

7. KB1PA

KB1PA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

well, according to FEMA "• Communication lines, towers, CalFire communication sites, CHP communications sites, federal and naval satellite communication infrastructure threatened; over 140 cell sites are down statewide"

K8AI, KS2G and N0TZU like this.
  8. W9AMM

W9AMM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mobile cell towers can be deployed at a moments notice. They're probably waiting until the fire gets contained and recovery efforts can commence.

KC8VWM and KK5JY like this.
  9. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio saves the day! Early 20th century technology for a 21st century crowd.

KR2C and AD5HR like this.
  10. KK5JY

Interesting.

I guess I'm still not seeing what AR has to do with the situation, tho.