BYLARA Conference - October, 2016

Discussion in 'The YL Zone' started by F4WBW, Nov 23, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. F4WBW

F4WBW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, it's kind of early - but our newly formed YL France group just posted information about the BYLARA conference for 2016 and it frankly looks like fun. http://bylara.org.uk/

Just curious if any/many YLs from the US turn out for this event or would be interested in doing so this time around. Or have attended in the past. Or if any of the British YLs are here on QRZ. As a relatively new ham, I've been trying to catch some of the YL QSOs but timing and propagation conditions aren't cooperating. What are the chances of seeing or meeting some of you F2F next October?

MI0YLT and N6QIC like this.
  2. MI0YLT

MI0YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Me and my sister Grace are members of BYLARA

N6QIC likes this.
  3. F4WBW

Any chance you and/or your sister will make it to the conference? Or to the RSGB convention that weekend? It would be fun to meet some of the YLs from QRZ face to face.

4. KC9ZHV

KC9ZHV Ham Member QRZ Page

We need a group similar to this here in the US.. This is the first I have ever heard of..

5. F4WBW

BYLARA is definitely international. There are a few YLs coming from the US and an Australian contingent, too. And in the US you have YLRL: http://www.ylrl.org/index.php/home

If the propagation would ever improve, I'd love to try to hit one of the YLRLs QSOs. But so far, no luck.

6. KC9ZHV

Thanks I just found the YLRL group I really don't know much about them.. I know its not the same as HF but i have an allstar repeater system and my datacenter hub is 41715 or if you had echolink you could try KC9ZHV-R.. I will have to do more reading on the ylrl and see if its some thing i would be interested in joining. I hardly am active in my local club let alone joining another.

MI0YLT likes this.
  7. F4WBW

I do have Echolink, though I haven't tried doing much with it yet. I will definitely make a note of your repeater link and try to contact it. We've got a link here (DH's link - F5POE-L - to the local VHF repeater) but it's all in French. DH set me up with an fldigi set up for digital modes, however he's in the hospital for a few days (planned surgery) and of course as soon as he goes in, the system goes all wonky on me. I have it partially re-established, but between keeping things running at home and running over to visit him at the hospital, I haven't had much time to work on the problem. Ah well - some days are just like that.

MI0YLT and KC9ZHV like this.
  8. KC9ZHV

Yes I know the feeling I hope He gets well soon!! <3 surgery is no fun!! I have two machines here and I imagine if I was in the hospital and they went down they would probably stay down till i got out lol.. I do most of the programming and voip type setup on the systems.. He got a small taste last night when i re wrote most of my configuration files for the system. I do most of that work in the middle of the night and ssh into the servers and repeaters to make the changes.. So far we have been fortunate only small amounts of down time.

9. F4WBW

Just back from visiting DH in the hospital. Turns out the "problem" with the system was that I hadn't properly remembered the set-up... Got all the info I needed and it should work a whole bunch better when I use the right logon and password. <oops> Well, it's been a rough week for both of us - though I concede he's had the tougher part of it all. But the good news is that every day I've visited I can see a little bit more improvement.

10. KC9ZHV

Well that's great news that he is doing better! Yes passwords are so much fun ....... :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( Some passwords I have need to be 12 characters long with two uppercase not in sequential along with 2 characters. Passwords like that are very tough to remember often times and then they change every 90 days for no reason.. So do you have allstar ability?? If not its tons of fun you can sign up with www.allstarlink.org Echolink is ok but I love allstar personally.