BuxCommCo Rip off

Discussion in 'Ham to Ham References' started by KB3EAA, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W4INT

W4INT Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Not to take sides however I purchased the RASCAL kit about a year ago and built it for my YAESU FT-847.  Honestly I had no problems and I was distracted many times by my kids whom at the time did not want me soldering. (Smoke scared them)

I only use my RASCAL for PSK31 and SSTV.

Question, Have you been able to get your RASCAL configured to work correctly yet?

73 de W4INT

2. KB3EAA

KB3EAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I got it working by connecting DTR designated wire, as SCR designated wire would not work. My suspicion is that the wires are incorrectly identified in the schematic, because the SCR designated wire alone didn't do it. When I informed "Buck" that this happened, he cursed me out.

3. W5KRM

W5KRM Guest

It is sad in this day and age that so many companies throw away potential repeat business and word of mouth referrals judging by the way "Buck" acted towards you. I had a similar experience with Ten Tec. I bought one of their radios (new) (won't mention the model) and it didn't work properly, but was supposedly checked out prior to shipment. The unit was mis-wired and they returned it. I mentioned to their sales rep, Scott, why not consider a follow on model with some of the following features incorporated. You know, the user feedback sort of thing most companies are looking for. He more or less told me that if I didn't like it to return it and was more or less rude about the suggestions. I returned it and won't be dealing with them again.

Seems tripe, but companies and businesses need to listen to the customers/users, good or bad. I will write a good letter just as quickly as a bad one to a company.

4. N3KCM

N3KCM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I too have had problems with "Uncle Buck"!  I purchased a "rascal" interface kit for my Icom 706.  After I finished I tried it out.  Nothing worked.  I had someone double check my work.  Nothing again!  The audio was not driving the radio on LSB.  Ok, I started checking values.  1 cap, 1 pot, 2 audio transformers and a chip.  The cap worked, the 2 audio transformers worked, the pot was variable.  Come to find out the pot was too constricting, even at the minimum!  I took the pot out and it works fine.  

In the middle of this ordeal, I sent an email to "Uncel Buck" :  
    "Bux Commco" <k4abt@packetradio.com>  and asked if there were any know problems with driving a 706 rig, like I have noted on a yahoo groups 706 site.  He sent me a nasty email stating that he does not give tech info for kits.  Ok, this pissed me off because I just sent him $30.00 and I didn't even get a "sorry for your troubles but I can't help you statement".  No big deal, I figured I would drop it.  When I found that his diagram was wrong on a audio wire (use the white wire on the new audio cables not red) I was ticked off. Being the nice guy that I am, I figured I would let him know so he could let other hams know.  Well, the emails get nasty from here on out.  I just wanted some assistance on a faulty product, not assistance on how to put it together.  He likes putting out insults to hams if your not engineers!  Well, I found the problem with the pot and a wire in the "wrong" place and let him know about it "my style"!  Right back at ya Buck!  I can get nasty like you, you IGNORANT JACK%#$!

Buck sucks for customer service!  You pay your money and your history!  They don't care about repeat customers!

5. KG4RRM

KG4RRM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you yell loud and long enough, people will deside not to deal with this whole mess. They'll be turned off from it. Which is quite effective in killing business.

6. W8WDX

W8WDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like you have had a bad experience with BuxCommCo. I am not taking sides on this issue but I am stating that I had a great experience with them. Also, out of 71 reviews on eham.net, Buxcomm has an average rating of 4.2 out of a possible 5.0. Some bad experiences does not make this a bad company to deal with. We could go on and on about other companies as well.
    Scott
    w8wdx

7. N9NRW

N9NRW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am betting that from the original post that during assembly R2 was broken. I have a kit here that has the same problem. The leads of the pc mounted pot do not line up correctly. However, pushing harder is not going to make it fit. All this trouble over a .50 cent part.
    Just bend the lead up and run a small jumper from the hole.
    The board holes are on 7mm center and the pot leads are 5mm.
    In general, I thought the documentation was very clear.
    I even got a socket for the opto-isolator, just in case [​IMG]

8. N2DBQ

N2DBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the warning. I was going to order one of those MKV rascals myself.
    I think I will buy from MFJ instead. Thanks for the tip.

9. N5WSU

N5WSU Ham Member QRZ Page

I order a kit from Buck last week and last nite I put it together, and had no problems with it. The info he give is very good, Yes there are diff types of interface for diff radio's and he showed all the pictures to all.I'm not a engineer but I can follow the steps that buck put in his paper work. Oh yea this for a TS-50 for moblie for PSK-31 and Slowscan TV. Lot of Fun putting it together! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. K8SPY

K8SPY QRZ Member QRZ Page

WOW!!! Like I read in an earlier post he may make a good product or he may make a bad product but you never ever treat your customers as a pile of dung. I was planing on buying a rascal for a project I was going to do but what I have read here I would rather buy someone else's. Even if it works I will not deal with a company who talks to there customers and fellow hams that way.Even a 9 year old girl knows this!! Thanks for the insight..
    73 Scott K8SPY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.