ad: elecraft

BuxCommCo Rip off

Discussion in 'Ham to Ham References' started by KB3EAA, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB3EAA

KB3EAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I ordered a "rascal" digital interface from BuxCommCo, and received a PC board with an incorrect hole pattern for a certain component.  The components lead broke while trying to fit it in.  I e-mailed BuxCommCo, and they sent me another board.  The new board had the same component, but this time they had to hand drill the thru holes into slots to make the component fit.  The component would not fit for them either, but they had the nerve to claim that this is the first time in 30,000 units that they ever had any problem.

Their website http://www.packetradio.com/rascalnu.htm
    claims that the documentation for the kit is complete.  

"A COMPLETE DOCUMENTATION PACKAGE, (SPECIFIC TO YOUR KIT), IS INCLUDED WITH EACH RASCAL™®.  THE SCHEMATIC SUPPLIED WITH YOUR RASCAL MODEL IS A COMPLETE DRAWING AND INTERCONNECT DIAGRAM FOR YOUR SPECIFIC RADIO.  ALL CONNECTORS DISPLAY THE INPUT, OUTPUT, AND PTT PINS WITH CORRESPONDING PIN NUMBERS."  

It is not.  They lie. The schematic does not match the assembly, and wires are not all identified.  They are trying to use "one size fits all" documentation, not specific as claimed. It is not "complete", when unidentified components appear, and wires are not identified.  Their e-mail response to me:

"Use the diagram/schematic, not the pictorial, and let common sense
    prevail.
    ALSO... Read the statements on the web page where you ordered the "KIT"
    "There is NO tech support for kits built by others!"

I complained, and BuxCommco said that they do not offer "tech support" for kits.  I said I wanted complete documentation, not tech support.  The board also came with an un-documented component, which I questioned.  I was polite throughout all of this, but BuxCommCo said that "good engineers know" what the component would be for.  I Told them firmly, but respectfully, that the insult would not fly, and that they still had to provide the complete documentation they promised in the ad, and that the PTT did not work until I connected DTR. DTR would not normally need to be connected, but PTT would not work at all untill I connected it.  The schematic shows it as being optional, but without it, the unit would not function.  They even admitted that the schematic did not match the wiring diagram.

I Told them firmly, but respectfully, that the "good engineers" insult would not fly, and that they still had to provide the complete documentation they promised in the ad, and that the PTT did not work until I connected DTR.  They e-mailed me this today, 8 FEB 03:

"NO, DTR is only used with CW, and you're fully sh#t!
    The problem is, that you can't admit that you can't understand simple Electronics, that even little 9 year old girls build and use.
    I am serious, over 30,000 RASCAL kits are in use, and yours is the only hassel we've ever had.
    The schematic is exactly what you ordered !
    Get real, and Get a LIFE.."

People, this is not who to do business with.  I have been an engineer for 20 years, and I know what a good documentation package looks like.  The website promises no surprises, but when the schematic and assembly do not match, and wires are not identified, and unlisted components appear, that is truly a surprise.  Their abuse is also a surprise.  

I cannot recommend this company for anything other than if you feel like being called fully "sh#t" when you have a question, then I guess it's alright.  

O.K.  I'm getting real, and getting a life.  And BuxCommCo is getting taken to court.
    I have filed a complaint against BuxCommCo with the Federal Trade Commission for deceptive advertising.  I let them know this, and I let them know that I would be going public with their insults and abuse.  Anyone else that has had problems with them should now contact the FTC, as BuxCommCo will now need to show that their website claims are being kept.  Without the cursing at me, I really would have let it go. I thought that they would have been interested in the technical problems, I thought that they would want to know if something wasn't right, and that is the way I approached them.  Now they can approach a judge.

2. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

My experience with them was that the PSK software that was provided with my factory-built Rascal could not key my TS2000.  I tried several other programs and all of them would work.  I E-Mailed them regarding this and was told that my hardware i.e. the TS2000 must be defective.  

HMMMM, keying works with other programs but not with theirs - MUST be the hardware!!

Dennis - KG4RUL  [​IMG]

3. KB3EAA

Here is the latest e-mail from Commco to me, 9FEB03.

"After all we did to make you happy, even building another board for you,
    you are so FULLA SH#T.
    And you are so SICK!
    73 de Buck K4ABT"

This is my reply:
    "You will cease further communications to me as of now.  The case has already been been refered to Federal Trade Commission for investigation.  Further abusive language will also be refered to the Federal Communications Commission.  
    Jerry Beard"

CommCo sent another board after my initial complaint, and its thru holes revealed that they had to customize it to accept the part with the hole pattern mis-match, they then claimed that they had no knowledge of a problem, when anyone could see that the holes had to be made into ovals for the part to fit.  

For some reason, "Buck" doesn't get it that my responses to him are not because of his outpouring of goodwill, which really only amounts to replacing a defective part anyway.  My response is to his lack of product responsibility, false claims, and his abusive language.  I have explained this to him fully, clearly, and with respect. I even offered to help him in any way that I could, and work with him on solving the problem.  I suggested that maybe the part is from a different source than usual, and maybe that could account for the mis-match.  I suggested a problem with the Gerber translation of the target file (PC manufacturing program) and again offered assistance. Just think, what an effort it must be to replace a defective part. What a great favor.

You beginners out there, remember this is what CommCo thinks of you:

"The problem is, that you can't admit that you can't understand simple Electronics, that even little 9 year old girls build and use.
    I am serious, over 30,000 RASCAL kits are in use, and yours is the only hassel we've ever had.
    Get real, and Get a LIFE.."

Is this really the only hassle they've ever had?  Highly unlikely.  

4. KD5SCG

KD5SCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I would be pretty ticked at you too, if I were him. So far you have managed to completely slander his company on a public board, that is being read by potential customers. I say slander because you have not provided any evidence, no receipts, no verifiable e-mail quotes (If you want people to believe that you didn't just invent the e-mail quote, then you should include headers).
    By the way, have you bothered asking for a refund.

5. W1XBS

W1XBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Just look at his webpage, no sense of aesthetics or organization. Most items are repeated 3 or 4 times in different areas. It reads like a "ransom note" (an affectionate term used for mostly newsletters that look like the author cut out and pasted letters from magazines).

I've seen psychotic ramblings (many of them here) make more sense than that page.

6. KB3EAA

kd5scg makes a good point.  I should have included headers.  Here are some:

"Bux Commco" <k4abt@packetradio.com>    
    To :    
    "'JERRY BEARD, JR.'" <kb3eaa@hotmail.com>    
    Subject :    
    RE: Part failed R-FT600 K HELP!    
    Date :    
    Sat, 8 Feb 2003 10[​IMG]9:40 -0500  

MIME-Version: 1.0
    Received: from lynchburg.net ([216.207.176.4]) by mc7-f40.law1.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.5600); Sat, 8 Feb 2003 07:10:27 -0800
    Received: from large [216.207.180.215] by lynchburg.net with ESMTP (SMTPD32-6.06) id AF47A0F00F6; Sat, 08 Feb 2003 10:16:23 -0500
    X-Message-Info: dHZMQeBBv44lPE7o4B5bAg==
    Message-ID: <000c01c2cf84$20454b00$d7b4cfd8@large>
    X-Priority: 1 (Highest)
    X-MSMail-Priority: High
    X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook, Build 10.0.3416
    X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
    Importance: High
    In-Reply-To: <BAY1-F2022TRqf69aZb000019d5@hotmail.com>
    X-Declude-Sender: k4abt@packetradio.com [216.207.180.215]
    Return-Path: k4abt@packetradio.com
    X-OriginalArrivalTime: 08 Feb 2003 15:10:28.0016 (UTC) FILETIME=[36B37B00[​IMG]1C2CF84]  
     Reply  Reply All  Forward    Delete  Put in Folder...InboxSent MessagesDraftsTrash CanbuxSaved E-mail   Printer Friendly Version  

NO, DTR is only used with CW, and you're fully SH#T!
    The problem is, that you can't admit that you can't understand simple Electronics, that even little 9 year old girls build and use.

Get real, and Get a LIFE..

And this is one I sent:

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 1[​IMG]3 PM
    To: k4abt@packetradio.com
    Subject: RE: Part failed R-FT600 K HELP!
    -----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 1[​IMG]3 PM
    To: k4abt@packetradio.com
    Subject: RE: Part failed R-FT600 K HELP!

The "printed circuit board assembly page" depicts a 5 conductor cable in the lower right of the diagram.  I can only assume that the PTT+ and PTT- are the RCA cable.  The white and green cables are accounted for and clearly
    marked on the diagram, as is the serial port pins 5 and 7.  I have no idea what "Bare wire, transmit audio, and receive audio (unless Ext Spkr is used)" means.  The Schematic shows the RCA connected to pins on the
    optoisolator, as does the assembly diagram.  What then should I connect to "transmit audio"?
    Help!
    Jerry Beard

Here is his response to the above:

To :    

Subject :    

Date :    
    Fri, 7 Feb 2003 13:17:30 -0500  

Received: from lynchburg.net ([216.207.176.4]) by mc7-f40.law1.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.5600); Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:17:51 -0800
    Received: from large [216.207.180.167] by lynchburg.net with ESMTP (SMTPD32-6.06) id A9ADCC400A6; Fri, 07 Feb 2003 13:23:41 -0500
    Message-ID: <000301c2ced5$31570e60$a7b4cfd8@large>
    In-Reply-To: <BAY1-F12A2aiVklUVhj00001323@hotmail.com>
    X-Declude-Sender: k4abt@packetradio.com [216.207.180.167]
    X-OriginalArrivalTime: 07 Feb 2003 18:17:51.0206 (UTC) FILETIME=[39C06060[​IMG]1C2CED5]  
     Reply  Reply All  Forward    Delete  Put in Folder...InboxSent MessagesDraftsTrash CanbuxSaved E-mail   Printer Friendly Version  

Over 30,000 kits in use, and this is a FIRST.
    Use the diagram/schematic, not the pictorial, and let common sense prevail.
    ALSO... Read the statements on the web page where you ordered the "KIT"
    "There is NO tech support for kits built by others!"

Here's another:

To :    
    Subject :    
    Date :    
    Sun, 9 Feb 2003 09:17:10 -0500  

Received: from lynchburg.net ([216.207.176.4]) by mc10-f4.bay6.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.5600); Sun, 9 Feb 2003 06:17:38 -0800
    Received: from large [216.207.180.213] by lynchburg.net with ESMTP (SMTPD32-6.06) id A46819A60124; Sun, 09 Feb 2003 09:23:36 -0500
    Message-ID: <000f01c2d045$f4a6fb20$d5b4cfd8@large>
    In-Reply-To: <BAY1-F194f7SMIaeYt200002582@hotmail.com>
    X-Declude-Sender: k4abt@packetradio.com [216.207.180.213]
    X-OriginalArrivalTime: 09 Feb 2003 14:17:38.0499 (UTC) FILETIME=[FFEF5130[​IMG]1C2D045]  

After all we did to make you happy, even building another board for you,
    you are so FULLA SH#T.

And you are so SICK!

73 de Buck K4ABT

Here's one that he sent after I told him to cease contact with me:

To :    

Subject :    

Date :    
    Sun, 9 Feb 2003 10:19:16 -0500  

Received: from lynchburg.net ([216.207.176.4]) by mc8-f2.law1.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.5600); Sun, 9 Feb 2003 07:19:22 -0800
    Received: from large [216.207.180.212] by lynchburg.net with ESMTP (SMTPD32-6.06) id A2E01CDE00CE; Sun, 09 Feb 2003 10:25:20 -0500
    Message-ID: <000001c2d04e$9d0963e0$d4b4cfd8@large>
    In-Reply-To: <BAY1-F102pshGfs60Xx00002949@hotmail.com>
    X-Declude-Sender: k4abt@packetradio.com [216.207.180.212]
    X-OriginalArrivalTime: 09 Feb 2003 15:19:22.0995 (UTC) FILETIME=[9FFC8C30[​IMG]1C2D04E]  

You really are sick... Neither the FTC or the FCC cares about your
    dribble on the Inet.

Here's one for ya':

To :    

Subject :    

Date :    
    Sun, 9 Feb 2003 12:55:44 -0500  

Received: from lynchburg.net ([216.207.176.4]) by mc7-f39.law1.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.5600); Sun, 9 Feb 2003 09:55:58 -0800
    Received: from large [216.207.180.228] by lynchburg.net with ESMTP (SMTPD32-6.06) id A79419A50154; Sun, 09 Feb 2003 13[​IMG]1:56 -0500
    Message-ID: <000101c2d064$7b672720$e4b4cfd8@large>
    In-Reply-To: <BAY1-F57kyCKDkb9pPF00002c99@hotmail.com>
    X-Declude-Sender: k4abt@packetradio.com [216.207.180.228]
    X-OriginalArrivalTime: 09 Feb 2003 17:55:58.0909 (UTC) FILETIME=[80633ED0[​IMG]1C2D064]  

Do you realize that you are the culprit who keeps sending the messages.

You've harrased me from early on, even know there is NOT tech support for the items you ordered, and the disclaimer is very clear.  

There are no false claims, and over 30,000 customers will attest to that.

FYI, even the government has tried to stop spam... So you can't stop
    anything until you put my email into your blocked file.......... But
    then you don't know how to do that either.
    Maybe you should call your ISP.. Ha ha hee haw.
    Stop making idle threats, Grow up, and get a life!
    Your type is why I retain Bradford and Assts; as our legal consel.

Things can be made up, and the headers make for a more accurate case.  As far as receipts and the like,  I don't think you can put a scanned item on the board, but I paid $32.45 for the item with a Master Card, which includes shipping.  

It's too bad he acts like this, and I feel bad about having to have a problem with another ham.  He sent another board right away, but then began insulting me about my questions.  If there is anything else I can do to provide proof, I'll try to be responsive as I can, given the inherent limitations of the medium.  It's true, KD5SCG, it's slander when it's a lie, and people on the board deserve better proof than my initial post in order to decide better.   I don't need a refund, because I got the thing working finally, and it works well.  

If the proper documentation were to be provided by BuxCommCO, then I could happily point people towards the product.  It could be a very good value compared to other units for sale, as it is a great price, and their completed working unit holds some advantages.  They need to provide complete documentation, take responsibility, and stop the insults.  Hope I cleared this up.

7. KD5SCG

KD5SCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks,
    I was actually considering buying one of those. And I take back that bit about you slandering the guy

8. KB2RJH

KB2RJH Ham Member QRZ Page

kb3eaa sounds like piss poor customer service on there part guess thats one company i'll never deal with i hope they get theres in the end keep us posted.

9. KD7KOY

KD7KOY Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear about the problem..
    You can make one yourself with one transistor, 2 resistors and two diodes from the Ratshack..and some misc. connectors and cable.
    If you want some pretty flashing lights put some light diodes across the circuit..probably build the whole thing for about 10-15 bucks..I made two with the stuff I bought..cheaper if you have a junk box..
    Then you are..er..customer service..and can write yourself nasty letters if you fry the thing.. [​IMG]
    (Which you can't)

I know it's frustrating..but this is electronics..when you first don't succeed, take a break..think about it..and try again tomorrow..lifes too short to get angry and get stressed..not worth it..

Good luck..

Plans are on the net if you want to make your own....

10. KB3EAA

Thank you Matt for the response. I'm not really sure what to make of "Buck". I trid to help him i.d. the manufacturing glitch, and I figured that it was something that he would actually want to find out. It's quite often that when a set of drawings gets sent to the shop for production, that if the shop see's a problem, it gets sent back to the engineer. One of the things I learned early on, is that you always listen to the shop. Most of the time they have a point, and the engineer must make a change. Even when they're wrong, I still listen, it's the right thing to do anyway, but a production shop harboring resentment toward a know it all engineer will do the very worst thing it can do for him, and that is to build everything exactly as it is drawn from then on. During the course of any project, even after shipping, de-bugging can never safely be declared a closed file, especially when the customer is now the de-bugger!

Anyway, the Police have advised me to block "Buck" in my e-mail list, and report any further communications from him. The issue of harrassment by interstate communications spans quite a few jurisdictions, and they just want to leave alone unless it gets worse. I have not yet heard from the F.T.C., but I'm sure they have a full case load, with larger dollar amounts than mine involved.

Also, Matt, do I know you personally? You sound very familiar, and I just can't recall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.