Building a Portable 20m Vertical Moxon Antenna by K5ACL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Apr 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. W5KV

W5KV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the first I've heard of 'VDA' - i'll check'em out, was trying to figure out a way to do a 2 element beam with just two poles - this looks interesting :) thx!

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably that effort is not really worth pursuing, as it takes up too much real estate. Best advise is make sure the bottom of the antenna (horizontal section) is as high above ground as possible. On 20m, at least 4 or 5 feet:)

W5KV likes this.
  3. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the worries about pattern are there, but overstated. For portable ops, just put it up and work some stations! You can always move it around armstrong style, too.

Heck, I have this huge flat roof at 5 stories high, which allows me space to try out all kinds of antennas at 50 to 70 feet up. There's all sorts of crap up here... air conditioners, a high TV antenna, other antennas... just get something resonant up, do your best to mitigate issues, and start working DX!

[​IMG]

More pics if you search me at HL1ZIX. And a moxon video is on the way from me, also... love them!

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    W5KV likes this.
  4. KE0EYJ

Incidentally, I'm having troubles finding the post someone made in the news recently about making an X between the four points of a horizontal wire beam, and feeding the coax down from that X support. I want to highlight that in a video, soon. Anyone know what thread that was?

Thanks!

5. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

You do a very good job with your video production. I have ADD and most ham videos lose me in less than a minute.

W5KV likes this.
  6. W5KV

W5KV Ham Member QRZ Page

There's several on the web, 'The Stingy Ham' has one.. and a few others... thanks for sharing your setup :)

7. KE0EYJ

I am the writer of the stingy ham. Haha

What I mean is how someone simply took a thin rope to make an X for hanging the coax balanced down the center. I was impressed. Very simple. I hadn't thought of that.

Not related to the design for mounting. He did this with a wire moxon that was pulled out using just one point at each end, like a hammock. The X In the middle is strictly for holding the coax and balancing it from the middle of the antenna. This way, it takes fewer supports to put up a wire moxon.

I know how to do it, after seeing the photo. Just want to credit the place where I saw it, when I make the video.

W5KV likes this.
  8. W5KV

W5KV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha! Sry I didn't connect the dots there - thanks for your post - was super helpful. Hope to try horizontal eventually!

KE0EYJ likes this.
  9. KE0EYJ

Yeah, the different callsigns confuse. I'd change my USA one to my Korean call, but we're hoping to move in a year or two, and I'd just have to change it back.

W5KV likes this.
  10. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

You're profile pic has to be photo shopped:) You have a great place to play but wonder if any of that stuff is causing noise in your receive.