ad: PowerFilm-1

Building a new Man Cave

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KS4VT, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KS4VT

KS4VT Ham Member

So the wife and I decided that we needed more square footage in the house so I decided the best thing to do was to enclose the patio and add 300 square feet to the house instead of doing anything in the garage. Being my existing shack is in an adjacent room that is really supposed to be a bedroom, I am moving all my radio gear to the new area (my new Man Cave) by taking 1/2 of it and the other 1/2 will house my kids stuff (computer, drawing table, etc.). The bedroom will go back to being a bedroom for an occassional visit by the grandparents.

I pre-planned extra electric along the back wall, its own split 220V HVAC unit, conduits to the outside world for connections to my tower and CCTV, and will have to extend the connections to my existing attic mounted antennas. I also had impact windows installed so it would be two less shutters to deal with and the wall is designed for 140+ wind survivability and the other 2 walls are CBS block.

I'll post additional pictures as the project moves along, but so far I'm about 2 weeks into the project and very pleased with the results.

Enjoy....

IMG_2585.JPG IMG_2891.JPG IMG_2892.JPG IMG_2893.JPG IMG_2898.JPG IMG_2902.JPG IMG_2905.JPG IMG_2907.JPG IMG_2937.JPG IMG_2940.JPG

2. KB0VXN

KB0VXN Ham Member

Nice! I'm still stuck with just a man corner:eek:

Mike KB0VXN

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member

Nice job! The only problem is its not dark and scary enough. That's what I rely on to keep the riff raff out of my batcave. :)

Eric

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber

Nice.

I thought Caves were under ground.

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber

Excellent! I wonder are the "missile resistant" windows good at Cape Canaveral/Brevard County?

6. W9OE

W9OE Ham Member

I see a few problems already. Looks like the cave is a little short on power. There should be at least 4-20 amp dedicated circuits and at least 2-240 volt 20 amp circuits. You could also include a ground rod for your equipment, bonded with the others of course. Where are you going to mount the the 60 inch LCD TV. A small fridg. is a must. Sound proofing to keep out the QRM and don't forget the acoustics. A commercial grade steel security door with a large sign that says KEEP OUT!!!

More Power, More Power!!!

A stairway going up to the observation deck/antenna farm would be nice addition. Make sure you keep enough square feet to place a hammock in the corner.

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member

No no no! You're wrong! You didn't read the chapter on Man Caves in the Opus. You must NEVER have a convenient source of food in the man cave. Hams are already heart attacks waiting to happen. The only exercise they get is walking to the fridge...so it needs to be a moderately arduous journey.

Now you know

Eric

8. KS4VT

KS4VT Ham Member

You guys crack me up! LOL

9. AC2EV

AC2EV XML Subscriber

Where's the hot tub? How's the pizza delivery guy supposed to make covert deliveries?

10. KS4VT

KS4VT Ham Member

Actually, I had to get rid of the hot tub to make room for the construction.

11. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member

Before you close-in the walls, some metal screening fastened against the wall & ceiling studs (and grounded) would serve as a Faraday shield.

12. PE1RDW

PE1RDW Ham Member

with all this contruction maybe someone can clear a question up I have had for a long time, if you build in an area that is at risk of high winds why do you build in timber and not in concrete or at least reinforced cinderblocks?
    Then again our houses might be over engineerd as everything is at least double walled bricks on the outside and double wide inside if it carries wieght and newer houses a concreet innerwall and bricks shell outside.

13. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member

Have a search through some of those anthropological books and find some suitable cave drawings you could copy. There's a popular one about 9,000 years old so its genuine, of a man holding a spear and another one of a bear

14. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member

Andre, if they constructed them with a steel frame bolted to a concrete base and as you suggest with concrete walls and a cellar with a steel door they would be as safe as..... er, houses.

15. AC0H

AC0H Premium Subscriber

I've got retina and thumb print scanners along with the rodent suppression system from Andromeda Strain.

16. WA9CWX

WA9CWX Ham Member

Nice man cave, good prep for your AC needs. Congrats on a creative solution, enjoy....

Frank

17. W9OE

W9OE Ham Member

FOOD? Who said anything about FOOD????

18. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member

All it needs is an 807 cooler. [​IMG]

19. KF7HCZ

KF7HCZ Ham Member

Where are the guns? All the man caves in Eastern Washington have guns. :)

20. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member

Block house windows are several feet thick. They let light in but you really can't see out. They are weird sorts of things you have nightmares about, along with the stench of dead mice. I believe the window manufacturer is referring to tree branches, flying debris, etc. as missiles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.