Building a Ham Radio Tilt-Tower

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by WA5DX, Oct 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KC5OMC

KC5OMC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW very impressive projects...

WA5DX likes this.
  2. WA5DX

WA5DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello again Mark,

This has been a fun project from the beginning of the design work and up to the completion of the fabrication. If we don't get anymore rain then I should be able to lay over the tower this Saturday and get it ready to mount on the new Tilt-Tower unit. Lot of disassembly required after the tower is laid on the ground and then prepared to mount on the new Counterweight so I need two good days of sunshine.

73's and good DXing,
    Thomas / WA5DX

3. WA5DX

Sneak Preview...... :)
    Part-07-606.gif

W5KUL likes this.
  4. WA5DX

Hello everyone,

Here is video Part - 7 showing the Ham Radio Tilt-Tower installed and fully operational. It is really smooth and requires almost no effort to lower.

73's and good Dxing,

Thomas / WA5DX

W5KUL likes this.
  5. WA5DX

Hello everyone,

I was able to install the MFJ-1796 Vertical Antenna on top of the tower today but with no coax. From the ground to the top of the antenna it is 43' -6". As soon as my other counterweights come in, I will get them installed and I can lower the Tower and hook up the coax and do a SWR test.

73's and good DXing,
    Thomas / WA5DX
    Part-8-802.gif

W5KUL likes this.
  6. W5KUL

W5KUL Ham Member QRZ Page

That is some fine work right there. Thanks for taking the time to make videos and detailed instructions!

WA5DX likes this.
  7. WA5DX

Hello David and thank you.

This unit sure makes it easy to service the antennas and any accessories on the tower. When we have extreme weather conditions it also allows the tower to be lowered quickly and safely and secured from high winds.

73's and good DXing,
    Thomas / WA5DX