Building a Ham Radio Tilt-Tower

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by WA5DX, Oct 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WA5DX

WA5DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone,

Here are two photos showing the Base now completed and painted. I will let it dry for several days before moving it outside.

73's and good DXing
    Thomas / WA5DX

Attached Files:

2. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fantastic work, looks like your getting close to completing the project.

WA5DX likes this.
  3. WA5DX

Hello Stephen,

The entire Tilt-Tower is actually ready to assemble except for letting the paint dry real good. I really want the paint on the bottom of the Base Plate good and dry before bolting it down on the concrete beam. We have a cold front that is supposed to be here tonight or tomorrow so that might delay setting it up outside. High winds and rain is not my friend, so I will wait and see. I will post some photos and a video just as soon as it is working. This is going to make messing around with various antennas a lot of fun.

73's and good DXing
    Thomas / WA5DX

4. VE9DAN

VE9DAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Will the counter weight portion hit the building when tipped over?

5. WA5DX

Hello Dan,

No, the Counterweight "leg" and Tower will rotate parallel to the side of the house. The Counterweight will raise and lower to the left side of the Base Unit ( as viewed looking toward the house ) and the Tower will raise and lower to the right side of the Base.

I was hoping to set the Base in place today, but we have rain and a bit chilly today and predicted for the next couple of days. I will add some photos as soon as I get the Base set.

73's and good DXing
    Thomas / WA5DX

6. WA5DX

Hello everyone,

OK fellows here are two photos showing the Counterweight Leg now installed on the Base Unit. The Tower itself will bolt directly on top of the plate that is above the round bar and the Arm. The cast iron weights will fit on the six stubs ( 3 on each side ) on the Counterweight Leg. Bad weather in the area so it will be several more days before all of this can be moved outside and installed.

73's and good DXing,
    Thomas / WA5DX

Attached Files:

KC5OMC likes this.
  7. WA5DX

Hey again,

Here is a jpg photo converted from a pdf drawing of the complete system, both in the raised and lowered position.

73's and good DXing,
    Thomas / WA5DX
    Tilt-Tower-x100.jpg

8. KC5OMC

KC5OMC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was browsing and ran across this , nice fab work Thomas . Be interesting to see completed pictures or YouTube video of it in action.

9. WA5DX

Hello Mark,

Thank you and just as soon as the weather gives me at least two days of outside work time I hope to have the completed unit installed on the concrete base. My neighbor will bring his tractor over and we will use the frontend loader to lift the Counterweight and Tower on to the Base unit. I will make several videos of all this work.

73's and good DXing,
    Thomas / WA5DX

10. WA5DX

Hello everyone,

I have uploaded Part-06 video to my youtube channel showing the completion of the Tilt-Tower assembly. The video also shows the design and operation of the Flip-locking Device that holds the Tower in the vertical position. The two photos below are: photo #1 shows the locking device in the "un-locked" position, the second photo shows it in the "locked" position.

73's and good Dxing,

Thomas / WA5DX

Attached Files:

KC5OMC likes this.