ad: UR5CDX-1

Build your own 9:1 unun antenna on the cheap!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Aug 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB2JIX

WB2JIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KK5R, N4GST and W5KV like this.
  2. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I enjoy Bob's Baluns immensely.... ;) Below is the OCF dipole I have currently deployed at home.

[​IMG]

KK5R and N4GST like this.
  3. WW4FL

WW4FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I built one several years ago with an SO239 Chassis mount for the antenna connection. I built it originally for my go bag but due to my current operating position and the lack of room I am currently using it now with a 50' wire as an inverted L. Much better results than I expected. If someone is thinking about building one, they don't cost much and it's definitely great to have laying around because you never know when you may need it. Have a good weekend all and 73 De Jesse - W4JRQ.

KK5R and W5KV like this.
  4. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wait! Where are the all of the theory, modeling and EZNEC freaks who will say that these things can't work or are too inefficient or whatever?

KK5R likes this.
  5. OK1RR

OK1RR Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, how I hate videos! Instead of writing articles and preparing drawings the authors come with ... a video. You have to watch carefully, spend boring ~10 minutes making your own drawings and a couple of notes before starting your project. Possibly you have to watch this boring thing several times to learn where you should make a pause to get time enough to draw a sketch. I am happy that I don't need this one as well as most of things "described" in other videos!

Martin, OK1RR

KK5R and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  6. N5NSN

N5NSN Ham Member QRZ Page

Nicely done presentation. Thank you for sharing. Ununs and Baluns are great projects and can save a ham a great deal of money in spinning their own. Build, don't buy...

7. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

The freaks would be right in saying so.
    Almost everything 'works' if your willing to accept losses.

Losses are hard to spot , and often Hams operate far less than ideal systems and may even think it rocks.

When contacts are not as solid as they wish for , Hams will then blame the poor propagation.

gregW:) OH2FFY

VK6APZ/SK2022 and KK5R like this.
  8. N8VWY

N8VWY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good stuff, i use a similar concept with 14 guage wire and a manual tuner and it's opened up all kinds of doors, especially on lower bands. Hope to blog on it sometime but too busy using the antennas :)
    73 and gud DX.

KK5R likes this.
  9. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I made a 9:1 UnUn using a couple of ferrite cores designed to go over a section of RG-8 with 9-turn of hookup wire following the pattern used in the EACHI design. The image shows the dimensions. With it, I can use it without a tuner from 160M to 6M but there is a big thing here: You have to be careful how you dress the feedline.

When I dressed the feedline straight down from the UnUn, the SWR was not good and the lower two HF bands were unusable. The feedline dressing is critical, in fact. Then I dressed it down under the "counterpoise" bisecting the vertical and the horizontal, approximately hanging down 45-degress from the counterpoise. I also included a 1:1 Balun that uses ferrite beads and this was enough to make the antenna usable all across the HF bands plus 6M. While the SWR is less than 2:1 all across the bands, I still use the FT-450's internal tuner to finesse the system.

The wire used is #14 house wire for the 16-ft counterpoise and #14 copper clad iron wire for the 53-ft section. The 20-ft of feedline connected between the 1:1 Balun and the 9:1 UnUn is composed of an 18-ft RG-8X line which is connected to a 2-ft RG-58 pigtail coming out of the UnUn. The feedline to the shack is RG-8.

One other consideration is that it is isolated from any surrounding metal objects. If not done this way, the SWR may well be affected.

Note that I also have experimented with wirewound trifilar wound coils on 1-1/4 inch sections of PVC pipe and while they worked, they were best between 80M and 12M, the other bands were not very good. While the PVC ununs work, the ununs wound on ferrite cores seem to be more desirable.

KK5R Endfed Dipole.JPG

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017