Buddipole Reaches New Heights with Mastwerks

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM6FAK, Jul 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N8LWX

N8LWX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed...where is the pricing?

2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

3. VE9FI

VE9FI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I emailed a week ago and no response?

4. W9AC

W9AC Subscriber QRZ Page

I would be interested in the mast/tripod, but not the Buddipole dipole. Instead of their dipole, consider an inverted vee fed with open wire or ladder line. Make it a 1/2 wave on the lowest operating frequency. Band changes? Do it from the tabletop with a tuner inside, or next to, the rig. With some experimentation in feeder length, it's possible to forgo an external tuner and use the rig's internal tuner, assuming it has one. Done this way, it should be possible to find a line length where SWR is within matching range of an internal tuner on all HF bands. Do the work once, then coil up the same line for next time.

5. W6AH

W6AH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video. Here's a link to my review of the 10m (33ft) Mastwerks System - http://blog.wavetalkers.com/reviews/mastwerks/

Overall the Mastwerks System is really solid. The ability to get a near full size 20m dipole a half wave length off the ground and rotate it aloft in a quick and easy portable set up is just awesome. The ability to attach other antenna types to the mast is just a bonus. I've already stared to use mine for EmComm work with the ARES teams in Los Angeles and Ventura by attaching a 2m Arrow Antenna 3 element yagi to the Mast. The 10m mast height gives my antenna a clear view over the houses and the rotator let's me shoot a very narrow gap through the Mountains to between LA and Ventura and hit the county repeater uses by ARES, ACS, and county EMS dispatch.

Last week I used the set up in the pictures to operate from a small park in Ventura, CA, and was able to stations coast to coast across the entire US with solid signal reports and got a 10 over 9 report from a station in Barcelona, Spain.

73!
    W6AH

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For that kind of money, you could buy a 22 meter (72 foot) Spiderbeam mast, put a vertical dipole on it, and have a much better antenna at more than twice the height. Or make your own simple horizontal dipole on crappie poles and mount it part-way up.

Heck, even at the cheaper 18m, you're almost twice the height (and half of the cost):

http://www.spiderbeam.us/index.php?cat=c2_Fiberglass Poles.html&XTCsid=38248bfb1fc01ad966c43018edf1e7d2

MW1CFN, K0UO and AG5DB like this.
  7. N5NUK

N5NUK Ham Member QRZ Page

Three different versions, three prices: $550 to $800.

W9BLW likes this.
  8. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the 30' mast. It is really solid.

9. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

$550 to $800, and only 9.5 ft to 19 ft. Wow, I feel for those people who buy these things,
    Roll your own for under $50 to $200 and have fun doing it!!!!

I use a 33ft fiberglass pushup cost $70 and a home made dipole

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  10. N8XUY

N8XUY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

tell me more please