ad: CQMM-1

Buddipole Reaches New Heights with Mastwerks

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6FAK, Jul 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6FAK

K6FAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Chris of Buddipole launches new tripod/mast company called Mastwerks.

Buddipole was designed by Budd Drummond / W3FF in 2000. The company is now ran by his son Chris Drummond / W6HFP. If you have not heard of the Buddipole before, it's a dipole or a vertical antenna system that fits in a travel bag. It reminds me of a Swiss Army Knife in how versatile and configurable the system is. Buddipole uses a tripod and a telescoping mast system. They offer different kits that will give you heights ranging from 9.5 ft to 19 ft.

As we all know the height of your antenna can make all the difference whether your operating VHF/UHF or trying to maximize your take off angle for some good DX on HF. Chris has spent a significant about of time researching and developing a mast system that is still portable and reaches heights to match antennas mounted on buildings. He has launched a brand new company called Mastwerks which specializes in MIL-SPEC, tripod and mast system. The new RTS 1500 series can reach heights up to 33ft and is designed with a rotating tripod head that can be operated manually by a hand-crank or remotely utilizing a small motor and remote control unit.

I recently had the opportunity to deploy the Mastwerks system during this years Field Day. It was a joy to build and use. My location was about 80 ft above sea level in East Bay CA, so I needed all the height I could get. Below is a video of my Field Day, where I spent time talking about it and building it.

Mastwerks: https://www.mastwerks.com/
    Buddipole: http://www.buddipole.com/

Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 9.42.52 AM.png

Field Day 2019.jpg

AK5B, KD2TUD, W9BLW and 8 others like this.
  2. N9EE

N9EE Ham Member QRZ Page

Only 234 QSOs for 9A station??? Guess had a good social time. Was good looking mast, thanks. Did notice other antennas were longer wire antennas. Rather than spend so much time putting together 9 stations go with some large antennas.

K0DD, VE7YE, K6FAK and 5 others like this.
  3. KD0WGB

KD0WGB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WENT TO WEBSITE.. NO PRICE. THE PRICE MUST REFLECT THE MODEL NUMBER

K4AGO and N3LAC like this.
  4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

New heights in price...

K0UO, K9KQX, KD0WGB and 4 others like this.
  5. KI6WDX

KI6WDX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It would be interesting to see what antenna type the 33 ft. portable mast could handle and remain intact w/o the mast bending or swaying. The other point would be to see how the guys are held in place to stabilize the extended mast as it appears to have 3-4 guys attached, but don't see in the photo how these guys are anchored or attached to what structure or vegetation/tree(s). What is the rated maximum antenna wind load & square footage for the 33 ft. mast?

AK5B likes this.
  6. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Coupled with the fact that it will get REALLY annoying having to take the whole contraption down between band changes.

NX6ED, K0UO and KD0WGB like this.
  7. W9HBH

W9HBH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Red flag no pricing on web site, old saying if you have to ask you can't afford it. May have to wait for MFJ's copy

K0UO, KC5JSR, N6KX and 10 others like this.
  8. N2NOW

N2NOW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

no price = FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K0UO likes this.
  9. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee, now I feel vertically challenged. My operating location is only about 2 ft. above sea level....

Dan KI4AX

K6FAK and AK5B like this.
  10. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That should tell you something...:D

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

KC5JSR, KF5VSP and KD0WGB like this.
  11. K3NXH

K3NXH Ham Member QRZ Page

Wishing you the best of luck Chris with your new Mastwerks venture, I am sure you will make a success out of it.
    Chuck
    K3NXH

K6FAK likes this.
  12. K7CB

K7CB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"As we all know the height of your antenna can make all the difference whether your operating VHF/UHF or trying to maximize your take off angle for some good DX on HF."

*you're

KD2TUD, G8KNC, WU8Y and 3 others like this.
  13. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, everybody is an expert in grammatical editing.
    Never mind the technical error showing minimal knowledge about "take off angle".
    Or is "maximize" equal to "minimal" ?
    73 Shirley

KQ6XA and WN1MB like this.
  14. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a great system. I used one at WFD last January. Looking forward to deploying it again in the future.

AK5B, K6FAK and W5CAA like this.
  15. W9RTB

W9RTB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I called for info and pricing. I was send a price list. If my memory is correct $400-$600 range. You could email them for more info.
    Randy
    W9RTB

AB4UG and K6FAK like this.