Buddipole or ??

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE3GZB, Jul 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

After a 26 year absence from my favourite northern camping area (Red Lake, Ontario region), I hope to finally be able to return. It is rental property - a lodge - and when I inquired about radio the landlord stated it's ok but he doesn't want anything unsightly or damaging to the trees, cabins or anything.

I'm hoping to be able to bring my small HF radio (IC-7300), a 12V 10Ah Gel cell and charger and see if I can work any DX up there, but I'm not sure what kind of portable HF antenna I should bring.

It's been so long so I don't know what the terrain will provide for me as far as wire-antenna options so I'm leaning towards something that is all-in-one collapsible and portable so the landlord won't have any cause to complain or prevent me from using the gear on his property.

I have a QRP AlexLoop Walkham antenna but QRP might or might not be enough, it's only rated at 20W PEP. Then there's the Buddipole, which I do not presently own but I can acquire.

I do have a small balanced feed tuner, a KW E-Zee match, which I can bring but I don't know what will greet me up there after such a long absence.

Any practical suggestions please?
    73s de VE3GZB

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If the Buddipole appeals to you, then my suggestion would be to use that as inspiration to build your own similar device. The components can be had for a fraction of the cost if you are able and willing to assemble them yourself.

3. VE3GZB

I've never used one, never even seen one up close, I've only heard of it. So I cannot say whether it has any appeal or not.

4. VE3GZB

I have used the AlexLoop a couple of times, I rigged up a bit of remote tuning to it. It’s not a bad performer but the low power rating and narrow bandwidth make using it a bit of a pain.

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure how temporarily draping some wire in trees would hurt anything but I suppose that is up to the property owners interpretation. Get as much metal in the air as you can and work the world!

WA9SVD, W1TRY, WA8FOZ and 2 others like this.
  6. KK5JY

I wouldn't start with it, then. They are overpriced for what they are.

If you have room to run a resonant antenna, K8CH described a very simple wire antenna that only needs a single support (that could be literally anything tall enough). I helped a friend build one, described here: http://kk5jy.net/three-wire-gp/

You could also pair that with an ATU close to the antenna and use it on other bands. It should cover two octaves of frequency fairly efficiently with a ATU, one octave on either side of the center frequency for which you cut it.

Mechanically, it doesn't get much simpler than that. When you are done, you roll up the wire and drop it in a shopping bag. It really is that compact. Take some tent stakes to hold the ropes that pull the guys out to the sides. Cost-wise, it's very tough to beat.

7. KK5JY

You might also ask your question over in the Antennas forum... there are some sharp guys over there who don't hang out in this forum because they don't care for the subjects.

WZ7U likes this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

That is true.

9. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Wire and an inexpensive pushup pole or mast will go a long ways.
    Don't forget the guy lines.

KA4VNM and WA8FOZ like this.
  10. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

My throw in up anywhere antenna is an end fed with a home built 9 to 1 unun hooked to about 33 feet of 18 gage wire. While it is a compromised antenna, with a tuner it works fairly well on 20 and 40 meters. As others have said maybe a simple dipole would be your best option. Cut for 40 meters it would only be about 65 feet long.

WA8FOZ likes this.