Bouvet Aborted

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA1BSZ, Feb 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Dick, my understanding is that earthquake-induced tsunami waves are usually unnoticeable in the open ocean. They spread out and are very small until a rising seafloor concentrates their power. I don't know the conditions around Bouvet, but if the ship was in deep water and not dragged into the island this is unlikely to have been an issue. The waves could have been a disaster if anyone was on the beach, but I believe everybody was planning to stay on high ground. As for being on land, 6.5 is quite serious, though hopefully having tents rather than houses would minimize the damage. That is not something anyone would want to test, though.

2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Re: the FRR-59A was the shore based version of the WRR-2A which was very common on subs and the larger combat ships. I worked on alignment of the WRR-2A for almost two months (totally boring) before I transferred to the Service Dept which was like heaven. I also managed to escape any USN school on them as that pretty much was a dead end job and limited to one piece of gear; I wanted variety.

Carl

3. NW7US

NW7US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I run a peanut whistle station and have never let the fact that I'm not a super station stop me from working incredible DX and pile ups of the worst kind. It is always a thrill to hear the DX respond to my call amidst the cacophany of "big guns" dominating the frequency.

AB8MA likes this.