ad: Flexradio-1

Booting MS DOS 6.22 from a USB stick

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KK6RF, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KK6RF

KK6RF Ham Member QRZ Page

For all you vintage OS fans... Today I figured out a way to make a MS DOS 6.22 Bootable USB stick. It was kind of tricky. I needed to do this to get an old Needham's Electronics EMP-10 EPROM programmer running. I couldn't do it virtually (at least not in VirtualBox) because the EPROM programmer needed a native connection to the parallel port. This is how I did it:

USB Stick - I used a 128MB stick
    MS DOS 6.22 Floppy Images - I found them here
    Oracle VirtualBox
    BIOS that supports booting from USB HDD

1. Run DISKPART. Select and clean the USB Stick.
    2. Here's the tricky part. Create a link in VirtualBox to the physical USB stick. This website shows you how to do it. When you open your command windows, run cmd as an administrator or it won't work.
    3. Run VirtualBox as an administrator. Create a virtual machine and add the physical USB stick to the IDE controller. Add the first MS DOS 6.22 setup disk image to the floppy controller.
    4. Boot the virtual machine and install DOS.
    5. Exit VirtualBox and reboot your computer. Before your computer boots to your hard drive, press the key to enter the boot menu. On my computer, you hit F12 for the boot menu. My USB stick shows up in the list of hard drives.
    6. Enjoy flashing back to 1985!

My instructions were brief because I'm not sure if anyone cares about this. I thought it was pretty cool myself. To think I ran this software on an IBM XT with a Intel 8088 and a 20MB Seagate ST-225! If anyone wants a detailed explanation of any of the steps or has any questions, please ask.

ss1.gif ss2.gif ss3.gif ss4.gif
  2. J85K

J85K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Back down memory lane.......

Thanks for the info. Never know if I'll need to resuscitate my Acma 486 with its 'huge' 105 MB hard drive and Sony 4x CD player with adapter card. I miss the days of customising prompts via ANSI.sys........
  3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This isi good and for those who need to run older software for whatever reason it will come in handy.
  4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

What is this DOS thing you speak of?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  5. J85K

J85K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Disk Operating System thingy...........

DOS (English pronunciation: /dɒs/), short for "Disk Operating System",[SUP][1][/SUP] is an acronym for several closely related operating systems that dominated the IBM PC compatible market between 1981 and 1995, or until about 2000 if one includes the partially DOS-based Microsoft Windows versions 95, 98, and Millennium Edition.
    Related systems include MS-DOS, PC-DOS, DR-DOS, FreeDOS, PTS-DOS, ROM-DOS, Novell DOS, OpenDOS and several others.

MS-DOS ([​IMG] /ˌɛmɛsˈdɒs/ EM-es-DOSS; short for Microsoft Disk Operating System) is an operating system for x86-based personal computers. It was the most commonly used member of the DOS family of operating systems, and was the main operating system for IBM PC compatible personal computers during the 1980s to the mid 1990s, until it was gradually superseded by operating systems offering a graphical user interface (GUI), in particular by various generations of the Microsoft Windows operating system.

Reference: WiKipedia............

Under Windows GUI's, if you go -- Start Menu, Run, into the dialog box you enter "cmd"; and OK, you'll get a command line "DOS" interface.......:cool:
  6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, that thing I have been using since 1980. Tnx for the info---:cool:

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I eliminate THAT problem by simply having a small C: partition (typically 2 GB) and configuring my computers as dual-boot, with DOS 6.22 and whatever flavour of Windows I plan to use. With two hard drives, Windows is typically installed into the E: partition. At turn-on, I have 30 seconds to select DOS or Windows from the start-up menu.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

allowio works good also

Another thing that you can do to get around the limitation of using Ports with older software is to use "allowio.exe".

It lets programs that need direct I/O for ports to be available for any program that needs direct hardware access.
  9. AB0TJ

AB0TJ Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KK4AMP

KK4AMP Ham Member QRZ Page

Will it support my old 8 bit ISA RLL controller? :)
  11. WA9SVD

Only if your motherboard has an 8-bit ISA slot...
  12. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously, this is really cool. This shouldn't be too much of a problem to replicate on a linux box running a VM. Concept same, steps different.

However, why not just go get a craptastic pentium, pentium 2, or amd clone and run with an ancient vga monitor (like an early lcd monitor)? yeah, that'll consume more energy, but it shouldn't be that much extra cost if the box and monitor aren't running all the time.

Heck, I've always thought of running opendos on a setup like that just as a standalone logger/cw machine.

73, Jordan
  13. KA9JLM

I use a 486 for programming eproms, and use long durations for programming and get Better/Longer data retention. Most Pentium 2s are good also. Jtag works better also on the older machines.

Many of the Older Machines are more stable than a lot of these Over Clocked machines of today.
  14. WA9SVD

"Over-clocked" denotes a processor, memory, or system pushed past the design "maximum," as designated by the manufacturer, and provides no warrantee as it can lead to unexpected glitches and instabilities that the manufacturer will not acknowledge. I f you push major components past their published limits, you are SOL. And at this age, repair or replacement is with "USED" components that may already have been pushed to or past their lifetime
    Modern motherboards and memory ARE quite stable and reliable (in my experience, more so than the "oldies" in the PentiumII / AMD K6 II era) if quality components are used.

But problems with processors and Operating systems are often contradictions in terms. Unless software relies upon timing loops within the processor (poor and sloppy programming) then a 2 GHz Athlon should be able to properly and accurately run programs designed for even a lowly i386SX-20. And an AMD Athlon six-core processor should be able to run software that was staste of the art when their 486X2-100 was the top processor.

But all should be able to boot DOS 6.22 if properly configured for DOS. (And you should SEE how fast Windoze 3.11 for Workgroups loads on an Athlon 2.6 GHz machine!)
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  15. KA9JLM

Most all IC chips start as "Premium". That includes RAM and CPU.

If they don't pass the designed speed rather that throw them away, they will test them at a slower Speed.

Unless they are dead, these chips get sold and are used to build Cheap Computers.

Many Computers run at Normal Speed, but may have Abnormal chips.

The 12 MEG Boost button on the AT Clones may or did not work, and that was one of the first test for over clocking older plug in ISA cards that had a 4.77 or 8 mhz Normal Clock speed. And it did work but was very unreliable.

Now you can overclock using software and many companies do, just to say their computer is better than the others, and people like big numbers that mean very little in everyday use.

The new Fast computers need a air conditioned room to dissipate all the heat they produce.

Most Computers today are just hurrying up to wait.

Sometimes People need to wait a sec...
  16. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember huge price differences between 486sx and 486dx models of the same clock speed. Back in the early 90s one could save quite a bit of money if one were willing to settle for a damaged 486sx chip (no working fpu).

A while back I remember watching a comparison of streaming audio on a 486dx versus a 486sx. The test took place in 2007 or so; guess someone had some old boxes lying around and was bored. The dx could easily stream dialup quality audio. The sx was almost entirely incapable of doing so. I had a 486dx for five years, but I never used the fpu intensively. Now I realize how important a fpu is for "modern" applications!

73, Jordan (wishes he still had his 486)
  17. WA9SVD

Of COURSE there was a price difference between the 486DX and 486SX; the 486SX was a defective DX with the numeric processor section disabled. Normally, such defective processors would be scrapped.
    But even "funnier" (in a non-humorous way) was when AMD released the 487 "upgrade" processor for 486SX machines. MOST motherboards had an empty socket to allow installation of such an upgrade, which was nothing more than a complete 486DX with a slightly different pin assignment, so that it would disable operation of the 486SX processor.

I had a 486DX-50 machine for many years. It was definitely faster than a 486DX-75 (clock speed tripled the 25 MHz bus speed) and marginally faster then even the 486DX-100, which had a processor clock speed four times the 25 MHz bus, or in some models, triple a 33 MHz bus speed. But the 486DX-50, with a bus running at 50 MHz, was still faster than any of the "clock multiplied" beasts, because the bus (and all peripherals) were running at 50 MHz. That was the start of "processor speed isn't everything" wars.

BTW, many software packages would use a numeric processor if it was installed; it wasn't something the user knew or realized; it was automatic. The FPU in your 486DX probably got used more often than you suspect.
  18. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

For some reason I don't remember a 486-DX 50. What year was that? Was that an Intel chip or another manufacturer?

73, Jordan
  19. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

Telix... a trip down memory lane!

20. W6TMI

W6TMI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had to do this as well to program a Motorola gr300. Needed an actual com port, no USB stuff, it's quite picky, and having tried to use virtual systems, emulators etc, I bought an old beat to hell Dell pentium 3 or so desktop with a bootable CD.

I used the hiren setup to create a bootable DOS CD. It's pretty quick and dirty, you can add material to the boot image, boot it and it emulates a hard drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.