ad: CQMM-1

Bob Morris W4MYA SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by NN3W, Aug 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad to report that Bob Morris W4MYA became a SK on August 14, 2018.

Bob was a long time contester and member of PVRC (since 1968) and a great all around guy.

Bob ultimately lost a valiant fight to cancer, but was active as recently as 10 days ago during the NAQP.

For those getting on casually for NAQP SSB this weekend, expect to hear a lot of "Dudes" or "Bobs" this weekend. As is tradition in NAQP, participants often pay homage to a recently departed friend by using the departed friend's name as their name in the NAQP exchange.

Run 'em.

2. K8JA

K8JA Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember Bob Well , During Many Contests ..Good OP ...R.I.P. Bob

3. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Robert S. “Bob” Morris, W4MYA, of Goochland, Virginia, died on August 14.

An ARRL Life Member, he was 72. Morris had been suffering from cancer but remained active on the air until very recently. He was sometimes called “Dude” within the contesting community for one of his favorite expressions, “Run ’em, dude.”

Morris was a member of the Potomac Valley Radio Club, enjoyed both contesting and DXing, and had built a multi-multi station in Goochland, where he mentored budding operators. In his working years, he was employed by AT&T in the Long Lines department. Fred Laun, K3ZO, remembered W4MYA as “the same go-hung fellow, right up to the end.”

Source: ARRL

RIP

[​IMG]

4. WX3B

WX3B Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my official introduction to Multi/Operator Multi/Transmitter operations from Bob in the late 1990's and early 2000's. Bob wasn't afraid to take an enthusiastic beginner and teach me the game. There were many weekends that Steve Beckman N3SB and I took the 3.5 hour drive "into the country" (his expression for home) to operate at Bob's super-station, and it was a BIG station. Stacked arrays on all the bands through 40 meters, receive beverages every 30 or 40 degrees, close to 12 operating positions (and almost as many amplifiers of various kinds) - separate sleeping quarters - gourmet meals served 3 times per day from XYL Lilly...it was quite a memorable and friendly operation!! I first knew of Bob's operation when I used to hear him on backscatter when I lived in Delaware (1989) and ran 100 watts into a low G5RV. It would take over 10 more years before we finally met. Our friendship lasted until about a week before his death - we had recently communicated about upcoming contests that he was hoping to hold on and operate in! Fred Laun K3ZO said it best with his tribute when he explained that Bob was the same Gung-ho man right up until the end! Bob spent countless hours educating me about operating practices, strategies, station building, and we would exchange emails regularly, talk on the phone, packet chat in contests, and get together once in awhile. He was a primary instigator in helping me built my small (and fun) multi-operator station I have today. I'm going to miss this DUDE!! 73, Jim WX3B

5. VK3MO

VK3MO Ham Member QRZ Page

Very sorry to hear about the passing of Bob. I enjoyed his company both in person and on the air and will miss his distinctive pleasant voice. We had some great times together. Ian VK3MO

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob was a well known and highly competent contest op. Sad he passed so young. Many confused us at Dayton and elsewhere when I had long hair and beard:eek:

Carl

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  7. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

posted by n3ua on youtube

Celebration of Life for our late friend Bob Morris W4MYA