Boat Anchor Station

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K9STH, Aug 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not to brag (at least too much!!!), with the mailman bringing an XC-2 2 meter converter around noon, and UPS showing up in the evening with an AK-5 speaker, I have finally basically completed an original Heath Twins + VHF station.

This consists of the Apache, Mohwak, AK-5, SB-10, and Warrior for 80 - 10 meters, and a Seneca plus the XC-6 and XC-2 converters for VHF (used with the Mohawk). Of course a Marauder and an HX-30 would complete a 2nd generation "twins" station, but I haven't acquired either one of them.

Also acquired an AM-2 SWR bridge that was sold as the companion to the "twins" (although it is of the older design) and a set of B-1 balun coils.

This equipment is not for sale or trade, just a recreation of a better than average AM / CW / SSB station of over 40 years ago.

Glen, K9STH

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You're making me jealous, Glen.

Okay, you transmit with the Seneca, and I'll follow you down the band with my receiver <hi>...

WB2WIK/6

3. K9STH

But, I have a homebrew VXO that I use with my Seneca that is definitely "rock solid"! In fact, I often use the Seneca with a varactor tripler to drive a 4CX250B for about 150 watts output on 432 CW. Sounds as good as any 80 meter CW signal. The tripler alone puts out about 25 watts which sometimes I use without the amplifier.

Otherwise, the Seneca is stable enough for AM, but definitely a "chirper" on CW!

Glen, K9STH

4. KD7KOY

KD7KOY Ham Member QRZ Page

Good deal Glen on the Heath twins ...DX-100 and Hammarlund HQ-129X here..VFO works great but I got hooked on the crystal thing. Looking for a mate for the National NC-173.
    3870 AM, The Dalles, Oregon...hope to hear ya one day.

"DX-100; Well, it's big and gray and has lots and lots of toobs. [​IMG] "

5. K9STH

My 2nd primary station, which I have re-created, was a DX-100 and Hallicrafters S-85. Around here the main AM frequencies on 75 meters are 3880 and 3885 KHz.

Glen, K9STH

6. KE7VE

KE7VE Banned QRZ Page

Glen,
    Nice set up especially like the vxo idea for the seneca, and the tripler as well.

For vhf here Clegg Interceptor, seneca and hx-30 and 4-250A amp for 6 under construction.

Bragging is fun so for HF, Globe King 500B, Valliant, 2 Apaches,ART-13, and a Cheyenne into an Sb-220. On Rx, R-4, R4A, Ha-350, Hq-129x, s-40, R-1000.

Maybe I should get rid of that TS-850 I never use and do something useful with the cash like put up a third tower.

Wish I could have said this back in 63, but did end up making all that dreaming come true.

73, Marty K7RKR

7. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep adding those tubes over there and you won't need a heater for the winter months, but you may have to turn on the A/C.
    I know a guy locally that will be jealous when he hears what you have, he wants the same setup.

73 Ken

8. K2PG

K2PG Ham Member QRZ Page

Real radios glow in the dark! [​IMG] I run nothing but "boat anchor" equipment here and I love it!

9. K9STH

Steve, WB2WIK/6 accuses me of hoarding all of the boat anchor equipment. I do admit that I have a few items, but there are definitely people out there who have a lot more.

You can see some of my equipment at

http://home.attbi.com/~k9sth

it is much easier to show a few photos rather than try to list equipment.

In terms of amateur equipment, I own three items that are solid-state: Allied/Radio Shack AX-190 amateur band receiver, a Uniden HR-2510 10 meter mobile, and a Kenwood 7850 2 meter FM. Everything else is tube-type. Now, I do have a number of commercial FM units that are solid-state that I do use on 2 meters and 440 MHz. However, they are not primarily amateur in nature.

Glen, K9STH

10. W0TDH

W0TDH Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K2PG @ Aug. 27 2002,15:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Real radios glow in the dark! [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes they do....look at this V3 photo taken just before sun up out of the case;

http://www.qrz.com/k0pjg  ( or just look up my Call )

Tom - K0PJG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.