Birds 2 ?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KE3LB, Aug 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE3LB

KE3LB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Curious if anyone is going to listen to the beacons of the 3 satellites being deployed from the ISS tomorrow wondering how do you know the time they are deployed and what direction to point your antenna or just use ISS track prediction but how do you know the timing. thanks 73

2. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

There was an update on the Amsat list, I believe. Use the ISS keps for the first few days. The schedule is also floating around somewhere (in this forum), and the individual sats will rotate through beacons and aprs, etc. The operating windows are very small (like 2 hours for each mode, rotating through modes). I hope to use the digipeaters.

[edit]
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...-enroute-to-iss-for-august-deployment.618955/

AI6DO and KS1G like this.
  3. KE3LB

thanks going to try also the digipeaters to 73

4. W5SAT

W5SAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I'll certainly give a listen for these new satellites. The other thread has their operating schedule - I am not clear on how soon after deployment the digipeaters will be active. Seems like the CW beacon will be the first we hear of them.

AI6DO likes this.
  5. K3RLD

SatNOGs is reporting CW beacons already. No passes on the east coast until 1600z today, so I've got a few hours. I'll be monitoring both the VHF and UHF frequencies.

6. KE3LB

thanks for update

7. K3RLD

Nothing heard here in FN20. Not sure how CW would sound under FM demodulation, though (maybe not at all?).

8. KE3LB

didn't hear nothing here at noon time pass in fn21

9. K3RLD

Scott (K4KDR) got the CW beacons on both of the passes, but heard no APRS.

10. K4KDR

K4KDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the mention, Roy!

Here's my tweet w/ a screen shot:

https://twitter.com/scott23192/status/1027980084253261824

... the doppler was quite a bit off from the ISS already - wonder how hard they launched those things? Is the launcher adjustable like a T-shirt cannon?

-Scott, K4KDR

W5SAT, K3RLD, KA2CZU and 1 other person like this.