BF Electronics

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by N7MK, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
  1. N7MK

N7MK Ham Member QRZ Page

Was just wondering if anyone recalled dealing with a ham radio dealer out of Kansas called BF Electronics back in the 1970s and early 80s?

They had a small store front and did mail order, running a small ad in QST every month. They sold Kenwood, Icom and others. This was during the time when the Icom IC-2A/2AT, IC-251a, IC-551a and IC-701, etc came on the market. Also the Kenwood TS-120 and TS-520, the Azden PCS-2000 were other radios that came out during this time, and toys like the original Kantronics Field Day code reader.

BF Electronics was price competitive with anyone in QST, and shipped ham radio equipment all over the world.

The proprietor was John, K0EQY, and I and a few others worked for him along with a few others. Good times.

Mark, N7MK
  2. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Where was the store located? I've never heard of it before. I was licensed in 1983 and don't recall the ads. I guess I'll have to go poking through my QST archive to see if I can find answers to my questions.
  3. N7MK

N7MK Ham Member QRZ Page

The store was on Main St in Hillsboro, KS. I don't recall what year he closed it, but I am certain it was still open in '82.
  4. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

I guessed that was the location after reading John's QRZ bio where he mentions having owned and run a Ben Franklin variety store there. "BF Electronics" thus makes sense. His call is somewhat familiar as I think he has checked into the section nets from time to time over the years. I don't think I set foot in Hillsboro until the early '90s at the earliest even though I drove by it a lot going down K15 and then turning west on US56 to continue on to Wichita and south when I lived in Enid, OK and Wichita for several years. I still go by there on trips to Wichita from time to time. Most of the milk from our dairy farm did wind up in Hillsboro, though!
  5. N7MK

N7MK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the ham store actually started out in the back room of the variety store. Then later actually had it's own separate store front.
  6. N7MK

N7MK Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess not too many remember that far back. :)

7. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I got my license in 1980 when I was attending KU. I don't recall the store. The only ham store I was familiar with was Associated Radio.
  8. W5WPL

W5WPL Subscriber QRZ Page

Here in Houston back in the 60s and 70s there was Madison Electronics on Texas Ave downtown.
    I remember going there as a kid and was amazed. And the owner searched me out of a very crowded store to talk to me and make me feel welcomed.
    It ain't that way here no moe.
  9. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought my TS-830S from Madison Electronics back in 1986 sight unseen. He let me order it COD via UPS. It arrived in mint condition and served me well for many years. It wasn't too long after that the Madison ads stopped appearing in QST. Sad, as I surely would have done more business with them.

Others that are long gone include Missouri Radio Center and Oklahoma Comm Center. I did a fair amount of business with each, MRC in the early years and OCC after I moved to Enid, OK in 1992. I stopped in at OCC in early 1992 fully intending to buy an Icom 2 m radio and walked out with a Yaesu 2 m radio! The Yaesu seemed better built and it was cheaper. I still have it and it is my most vintage rig.

At the same time in the early 1990s I started frequenting another store in Wellington, KS--Dandys owned by Norm, NI0S. It was primarily a Radio Shack store with an amateur radio section in the back. Around the mid-90s Norm sold it to Mark, KB0MOF, who moved the amateur radio portion to just south of Wichita in Derby, KS. It is known as "Derby Radio Shack" and Mark does a fair business. At the moment he has an almost complete Elecraft "K" Line consigned.

While some have been found in old ads, by the time I was licensed, all the radio stores in Nebraska had closed. Only Surplus Sales remains. Even HyGain is gone from the state.
  10. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember it, but no specific memories. Sorry.
  11. N5TWB

N5TWB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A few memories there with your mention of OCC as they came into being at about the same time I became a ham in OKC. Nearly everybody involved with the store were members of the ham club I had joined. I was certainly sorry to see them go as a local source. They were bought out by Texas Towers, IIRC.

Your information on the history of the Derby RS store was also interesting. I've done business with them at the Claremore hamfest and found them to be excellent for customer service. I plan to drop by the actual store one of these days when I go to Kansas to visit my relatives in Wichita or my farm in Ellsworth.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.