BEWARE SCAMMERS WORKING THESE LISTINGS...

Discussion in 'Ham to Ham References' started by WD0BC, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N8RCI

N8RCI Ham Member QRZ Page

Another one from William Sherry

This guy must have a lot of time on his hands.
    Here's one I received from him last week on an item
    that I had listed:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Subject: Arrow 146-4S 2M 4-element yagi antenna-LIKE NEW

Good day,

I came across your advert online and am very much interested but will need to know some few and very necessary details before making the purchase.

I will kindly like to know the last offer you will accept for it and also be very happy to know if you can send me some current or updated pictures so i can know it present condition..

I will be looking forward to your mail. .

Thanks and Best Regards
    williamsherry35@yahoo.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

A dead giveaway on most of these is to take a look at the way it's written. The grammer, sentence structure etc. is terrible.

The sad part is the toll it's taking on legitimate honest hams simply trying to sell some used gear.
    It's almost as bad as these guys on ebay or Craigslist
    selling their "estate sale" ham gear and then saying
    "AS-IS.... I can't test it....I know nothing about ham gear"
    Unless you need a parts radio, steer clear from those as well.

2. K4ELO

K4ELO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same Thing

I got a similar message from Joe regarding my ad.

3. NA1Q

NA1Q Ham Member QRZ Page

What I love is they use the same exact wording, just insert the thread title. The one I've been doing lately to the scammers is responding back and writing below my name:

CC United States Postal Inspection Service Fraud Division

They usually disappear after reading that one.

73 Matt NA1Q

4. K2MPW

K2MPW Ham Member QRZ Page

William Sherry SCAM

You can add a "William Sherry" to the list.

williamsherry35@yahoo.com

My contact never got to the point of a scam. He wanted my address to pay for the item up front. He mentioned that he would send a "representative" for the item. (10' dish).

Strange syntax and odd requests. When told to pay for it in person he disappears.

LOOK OUT 4 Him

Michael KB2UMJ

5. NA1Q

NA1Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Rick Brandon

Here's another one for the list

rick.brandon1@googlemail.com

Inquired about the FT-847 I listed on either QRZ, QTH, E-Ham, etc.

Asked if still for sale.

Then asked me to consider it sold, pull the ad, and would UPS me a certified bank check.

But needed to know my name.

Duh it's listed on the E-mail Header when I replied via my personal e-mail account.

Then would have a mover come and get it because of the business he's in.

I responded to meet in person, have cash only, and a copy of his FCC license.

Haven't heard back yet, and probably won't.

6. NA1Q

NA1Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Big sign that they are scam/fraud. They will mail you a check via UPS not the Postal Service. Seems that if they send a bogus check or money order by UPS they can't be prosecuted by the Feds for Mail Fraud. The last guy, Rick Brandon insists that he'll send the check via UPS. I told him to mail it to my PO Box.

Obviously the scammer at the other end doesn't realize that I'm on to him.

7. K7RQ

K7RQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I was spam-free for a couple years, then apparently as a result of registering something we bought, we got on a list, and are now getting more and more every day. My server separates it out very well, but it's still a nuisance to have to deal with deleting it. I'd like to find out how to implement the "bounce" option that tells the spammer that it's an invalid address. Does anyone know if this is available in Windows Mail?
    Hal, K7RQ

8. NA1Q

NA1Q Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a program out there, a couple guys are using it with fairly good results, unfortunately I don't have the name of it right now as I'm waiting for a fellow ham to send it to me. Unfortunately Microsoft won't do anything of the sort, they would lose too much money by selling "upgrades" to your existing software and creating useless security patches that do nothing but take up more computer memory everytime you start your computer up.

The latest one on the spam is they somehow have it encrypted so it prohibits the "Report phishing" from working on Hotmail, gmail, Windows Live mail, etc.

9. W3RXO

W3RXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Good time to trust the USPS.

The good folks at the United States Postal Service are very good at beating these scams. First off, they back their M.O.'s and will not cash it if it's not good. Secondly, they take mail fraud VERY seriously. So, if someone does get a counterfeit Postal M.O., the Postal Inspector will chase them down to the ends of the earth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.