BEWARE SCAMMERS WORKING THESE LISTINGS...

Discussion in 'Ham to Ham References' started by WD0BC, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KW7RF

KW7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI

Just wait, your inbox will be filled up in no time. :eek:

2. K4LJP

K4LJP Ham Member QRZ Page

Scammers

If I even suspect it's a scam a simple reply of "Sorry, sold." gets rid of 'em!! .......just my two cents worth. 73 :p

3. KW7RF

KW7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Bad move. Any time you reply with what ever comment to those emails you're giving a green light to other scammers. You're telling them that your email is a valid one and YOU WILL RECEIVE MORE. They send emails out in bulk but when they have a live one watch out.

4. N4WSH

N4WSH Ham Member QRZ Page

Just my .2 cents but in iMail (on the Mac) and most likely this is an option with Windows email software too, but there is a "Bounce" option and I use it alot. Basically, its telling the sender - bad email address. Many times I get that "mailer Deamon" something that tells me their sending carrier is bogus, but at least they get a returned, bad email if theirs is legit.

5. W3DCB

W3DCB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with being a "Yaesu Geek." That is a complement! wb2mjb Dan Baral

6. N9ZRZ

N9ZRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

scams

I've been approached with these types of offers as well on Craigs List. Fishing for your personal information.

7. NA1Q

NA1Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Good one for you!

I've got one, William Sherry 73 @ Yahoo.com. Responded that needed pics and info and what the highest price I was willing to take for it. I responded back to actually read the post, seeing the pic was on the ad, along with the specs and price, and the fact that the radio was sold pending payment. I also added that there were 2 hams ahead of him on the list to buy my radio for sale. He responded back that he already sent me payment and his "personal assistant" would be coming by to pick up the radio in a few days. Too bad for him, I never sent him or the second ham my mailing address. So I know that this one is a scam artist. Best part is that my FCC address is a PO Box, and my physical station is currently in process of being moved to a new homestead, so even if they go to my old home address, there isn't anything there.

Maybe I should check my PO box next week to see if there is a fake money order sitting there?LOL

8. WA5OK

WA5OK Ham Member QRZ Page

Scammers

This sounds strangely familiar...only my guy is using
    williamsherry35@yahoo.com

Here's what he sent me, which confirms a similar pattern in his scam attempt:

Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:35 PM
    To: WA5OK@arrl.net
    Subject: Icom IC-756PROIII HF/6m Transceiver

Good day,

I came across your advert online and am very much interested but will need to know some few and very necessary details before making the purchase.

I will kindly like to know the last offer you will accept for it and also be very happy to know if you can send me some current or updated pictures so i can know it present condition..

I will be looking forward to your mail. .

Thanks and Best Regards

Then his second email:

Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:57 PM
    To: Dave Reed
    Subject: Re: Icom IC-756PROIII HF/6m Transceiver

Thanks very much for the mail,

I have much interest and i trust it is in excellent condition, I am okay with the asking price and will pay as mentioned. So kindly hold on and ignore all other parties wanting to buy it as i am highly interested.

For the payment, I will mail out a money order to you so as soon as you receive it and have it cashed then my Personal assistant will come to you for all the necessary arrangements needed to be done to pick it up as well (or i will give u address for delivery if he cant make it).

To proceed, Kindly send me the name and address you want payment to be mailed out to you. I will also need a direct phone number so i can reach you, Please get back to me as soon as possible so i can forward payment to you for us to proceed and wrap up this transaction.

I will be looking forward to your mail. .....

Thanks and Best Regards,

And finally this one, after asking for his amateur call sign and/or his amateur status:

Thanks for the mail,

Actually my wife Amanda is a licensed ham, since she is not that good on computers and online transaction she told me to handle this for her. KL1JL is her call sign. Not to waist much time please give me the prefered name and address you want me to send the money order so i can send it via UPS as soon as i can for us to wrap this up.

I will be looking forward to your mail.

Regards,

My latest response to Mr. Sherry was that, "In my family, it is my wife that I look to for guidence in these matters as she is an attorney for the US Department of Justice. She has asked me to allow her a day or two to have a colleague from the Department's Juneau office contact your wife to make sure this is not a scam, as she feels there is something "a little hinky" about your interest in this radio. As soon as an officer has spoken with your wife, we can proceed with this sale. Thank you for your understanding and patience."

73, Dave
    WA5OK

I wonder how much longer this will continue? Stay tuned...

9. KB9HGI

KB9HGI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just got one of these myself.

Steve,
    Thanks for the explanation, will need your address info so payment can be issued out and don't bother about the shipping my shipper will be coming for the pickup hope all is understood.

Below is the Adress Information:

ADDRESS INFORMATION:

First Name_
    Last Name_
    Address_
    City_
    State_
    Zip_
    Phone Number_
    Country_

Joe

10. W6VPS