BEWARE SCAMMERS WORKING THESE LISTINGS...

Discussion in 'Ham to Ham References' started by WD0BC, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WD0BC

WD0BC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a warning folks a scammer is working these swapmeet listings.

Received a "fishy" email in regurars to a tranceiver I had listed. He requested the photos available as related in the add and wanted further descriptions. This was a little strange as the add was pretty clear.

The email is below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bill,
    Thanks for the explanation, will need your address info so payment can be issued out and don't bother about the shipping my shipper will be coming for the pickup hope all is understood.

Below is the Adress Information:

ADDRESS INFORMATION:

First Name_
    Last Name_
    Address_
    City_
    State_
    Zip_
    Phone Number_
    Country_

Joe
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

KEEP ON THE WATCH OF THESE SCAMMERS FOLKS!

Monitor: IF this is not the correct place please move it to the correct place.

Thanks

WD0BC

2. KI4VUP

KI4VUP Ham Member QRZ Page

Seconded. The scammer is Joe Robin, joerbn72@googlemail.com, he tried the same thing to me on my auction for a MFJ-752B...

If you google his email address, you will find 10+ hits on various forums detailing his attempts at scamming.

Good luck everyone and don't get caught...

Philip, KI4VUP

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Strange that they always say they will arrange shipping. ??

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. K5PO

K5PO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. The "Nigerian" type scams often say something to the effect of "I have a shipping company that will arrange that for you". Not all are actually from Nigeria of course.

Most of these type of scams involve money orders where they want to send you a junk money order and have you send them back the "extra" money. When it doesn't work out, you owe all the money back to the bank. Steer way clear of these sort of deals.

5. AK4MP

AK4MP QRZ Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Talking about scammers

Back in January of this year, I received a letter in the mail with a check included
    for $10,000.00 + in US funds and they wanted me to cash the check, spend XXX at a Walmart, XXX at another large store, and the rest split up all total
    to 5 companies with me keeping a couple of grand for my troubles.

The letter also said that they wanted me to Western Union them back XXX amount via several of these wire transfer companies.

I sent the whole darn thing, after I made copies for my records, to the local branch of the FBI.

A few weeks later I get another check for apx $8,500.00 US wanting me to do the same thing.

It is in the hands of the FBI.

Darn. What a payday that would have been.

Thats what happens when they try to scam someone that has worked in Law Enforcement for over 18 years.

Laters 73 and have a GREAT FATHERS DAY WEEKEND.

Tim KD4OVM

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  6. W8NIC

W8NIC Guest

how does this work? they send you payment then you send out radio? or fedex/upc picks up? i have one right now asking to take a l;ittle off price because he's got a fedex acct. haven't heard form him in 2 days though....

7. K5ROX

K5ROX Ham Member QRZ Page

Common

On craigslist ive had the "I have someone come pick it emails"

They seems to be after your personal info...... Run Run Run.....

Ive had the check offers also but never replied with any info so they could send me anything, I consider my personal info VERY personal.

8. KA4AAA

KA4AAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I currently have my HS 1800/Pro screwdriver antenna (entire package) and a Dell Axim X50v (w/ a ton of accessories) listed on Craigslist.

I've had a few emails wanting me to ship somewhere, or have someone come pick it up for shipping. Explicitly in my ad, I mention (and I quote), "I will *NOT* ship, so don't ask."

The one I've REALLY been getting hammered with are emails to the tune of, "Do you need help? I can help you with this".

These are from non-spammish sounding names with gmail accounts. The couple I have replied to send an immediate email back sending me to a "work from home" webpage.

What I fear now is that I HAVE responded to a couple of these (saying I don't need help, I'm not selling, I'm TRADING -- what do you have for TRADE?) now have my email on some spamming list.

My original gmail account now gets over 300 spams a day (that are NOT caught by the spam filter) -- this is from giving my email address to a local court system.

So, just a word of caution -- if it SEEMS like something is fishy, take precautions. I know I'm just preaching to the choir here -- but one thing that REALLY p!$$es me off are people getting (or attempting to be) scammed for honest, legitimate listings for items for sale.

--Alex / KF4YOR

Note: THANKFULLY, I haven't had any more spam/scam messages since replying to those few "do you need help?" messages..... yet.

9. K5PO

K5PO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Be very careful. Ensure any method of payment you take has actually cleared before you complete any other actions. Banks will cash the money order and give you cash on the spot, but that does not mean it cleared. A few days later it may come back as a fake money order and now it's on you.

Here is some more information:
    http://www.expertlaw.com/library/consumer/money-order-fraud.html

10. KF1Z

KF1Z Ham Member QRZ Page

If you price included shipping... that MAY be an honest buyer....

He probably just wants you to charge his FedEx account for the shipping.

For example, I have a UPS shipper account, and when I buy something from a company that ships via UPS, they charge the shipping to my account, then I pay those charges once a month... sometimes it's a discounted rate.

That;s a little different than " I'll have someone come pick it up... now can I have your SSN ..?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.