Best Wire Antenna?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N5RWJ, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
  1. N5RWJ

N5RWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What is your best wire antenna?

2. N8WWM

N8WWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Best wire antenna for doing what, specifically?

3. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

All of 'em.

What to be a bit more specific? Performance per foot of wire or something?

I have a loop, dipoles, end fed wires, each serves a purpose. What do you want to do?

4. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

There's an easy formula. It goes like this:
    The simplest, highest altitude wire antenna that puts the most gain in the direction you want, on the bands you want and is either tunable with a tuner, or resonates below 2:1SWR where you want it.

There you go :)

The simplicity element may be the biggest key - how much time, money and effort are you comfortable putting into it?

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

A dipole. They are the next best thing to using a 2 element Yagi but with one less element.

Could also be a hexbeam. ...It's a wire antenna right?

Then again it could be a doublet or an OCF because they cover more bands than a monoband dipole.

Then again it could be a monoband dipole because it operates more efficiently than a multiband antenna.

It all depends on your perspective.

Define "best" exactly.

???

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  6. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

The best wire antenna that I ever had was a true "Zepp" cut for the 160-meter band. A true "Zepp" has a half-wave (at the lowest frequency) radiating element and a quarter-wave of balanced feed line. It had about 270 feet of wire and was fed with "transmitting twin lead" (300 ohm twin-lead that could easily handle 1000 watts used to be available). The antenna worked well on 160, 80/75, 40, 20, and 10-meters. A true "Zepp" doesn't load well on 15.

I was using first a WRL Globe Chief 90A and then a Heath DX-100, both of which can handle a very good range of antenna impedances (DX-100 up to over 600 ohms and the Globe Chief 90A up to over 1200 ohms).

Glen, K9STH

7. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 2 favorites one design I have used over 6 yrs it's a OCFD coax fed 270' mounted at 60' covers 160-6m it is a Buckmaster one of the most well made wire antennas I have ever seen. The other is a 160m loop coax fed @40' to low really but works great for all of NA, CA a little of S America very well one of the best I've ever had but not really a DX antenna such in my case anyway have worked a little EU and some Africa but that's it.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's always BENS BEST BENT WIRE

Send that in code it sounds cool.

9. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

The one I made of course! :D

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

10. W5TTW

W5TTW Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have several wire antennas, but my Carolina Windom is the one I use the most. It's a 40/20/10/6 that also works well elsewhere. 32 feet in an inverted V. Nearly invisible to the HOA, too.

11. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use an extended double zepp (at least I think that's what it is called) for 160 and another one for 80 and is by far the best antenna I have used on those 2 bands. For 160 it's about 330 feet per leg and around 160 feet per leg for my 80 meter one. Claim is a gain of 3 db, I don't know if that is true or not but it sure does work well. I have only used them on the band they were intended for. The tuning stub is about 56 feet of 450 ohm ladder line to a 4:1 balun and then coax to the shack. The stub for 80 is around 25 feet. Both are up about 75 ft.

12. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

My two best wire antennas are ;
    1. 40M Horiz Loop, a good compliment to my vertical, great for short hop QSOs, better than a dipole by a good margin. Matched and fed with coax sections.
    2. New 90 ft dipole fed with twinlead and a new MFJ bal line tuner. It works well as a double Zepp on 30M and an Extended Double Zepp on 20M.
    Provides a good signal east and west for me/.
    It took me 50 years to finally put up an antenna with balanced line because I like coax fed antennas !

13. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

My modified W3EDP. 85 feet of radiator with a 17ft counterpoise. I started out with it fed right from the operating position tuner but had a few RF in the shack problems (as expected I suppose) so then fed it with coax into a 9:1 UnUn with earth at the unun. Its an eveolving installation 0 there is much earthing work to be done + better/higher mounting once I am up and about again.

14. K8AG

K8AG Subscriber QRZ Page

I vote for the ZS6BKW. Its a bit shorter than a G5RV yet provides a better match for rig internal tuners.

73, JP, K8AG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.