Best Wire Antenna

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3BIF, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N7CPC

N7CPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Strange teen Ham tricks.....Sounds like a good new thread....I ran used florscent tubes up the pole supporting the open ladder line to my fourty meter inverted vee.  At three AM it looked like WWIII!

Neighbors: Not impressed

Police:  Impressed, but not pleased ( one was a ham )

Parents:  Neither impressed nor pleased!

73 de Craig.....N7CPC [​IMG].........Age:13 (then) [​IMG]

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

over the years, when it comes to wire antennas, my vote would be for vertical quad loops....have them on several bands including 80 mtrs...use a 2 wavelength 17 mtr vertical loop, fed in one upper corner with ladder line and a roller inductor tuner that works very well from 40 clear up to 2 mtrs. and yes, a little real estate and tall trees does help...
    dan, k3xr

3. VA6AW

VA6AW Ham Member QRZ Page

Long Broken Wire Antenna [​IMG]

My dad bought an old crank type telephone that he put out at the cabin. The next year we began wiring other phones together through a single wire until we had a party line over a half mile long. Can't remember how many people we had on the line though.

Years later, I noticed that much of the wire still hung from the trees and I spliced as much of it back together as I could, minus the old phones.

I hooked this wire through a tuner, connected to an old 18 tube receiver and my god did the signals come through.

I don't know what type of propogation effects it was using as the wire started west, then north and finally east around the shore of the lake.

Think I will search out this long wire again and try transmitting from it. HI [​IMG]

._._. _._

VA6AW

4. KA1DWX

KA1DWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Definitely Rhombics

If you've got the real estate! Preferably over salt water wetlands at 1/2 wave or better at the lowest oping fq. If you can get a sloping hill to EU behind 'em even better! Since they play well over several octaves design them for a middle fq. e.g. 11 or 12 Mhz and enjoy them from 7-21Mhz.4 legs of 135 -350 ft ea is nice!Ck books for included angles.Feed 'em w/ 450-600 ohm. If unterminated they're bidirectional! @ at 90 degrees (separate 'em) cover the world. Really bad f/b though!
    [​IMG] Don Durk, ka1dwx/4

5. KG4OCV

KG4OCV Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n0xu @ July 23 2002,20:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Glen, you *are* the alpha geek....;-)

73 de Drew N0XU[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Glen, you *are* the alpha geek....;-)

73 de Drew N0XU

Now this is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. ROFL

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.