ad: vanity

Best Wire Antenna

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3BIF, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N3BIF

N3BIF Guest

Being that we are on the "Best of worst of " discussions, how about ,"The Best Homebrew Wire Antenna I Ever Had "

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It was a 268' long (67' on a side) square horizontal loop installed 55' above ground and fed with ladder line. Superb antenna for 80 & 40, and still worked on 20-15-10m also. Great, in that it was sufficient for both local and DX work. Antenna and feedline cost only $25 or so, total. Of course, the four 55' tall supports are another story...

WB2WIK/6

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

270 foot long Zepp that ran from my parents house, up into a wild cherry tree at the end of the yard, and back at an angle to a 20 foot telephone pole in the back yard. I unwound several TV power transformers to get enough heavy wire to make the 270 feet.

I heard a contest on 160 meters and wanted to get in on it. By the way, I was 15 at the time, put up the antenna at about 3 AM, in over 3 feet of snow, in a blizzard! That was in 1959. The antenna was still up when my mother sold the property in 1989!

It worked fine on 160, 80, 40, 20, and 10. Wouldn't work worth a "flip" on 15. Fed it with 300 ohm transmitting twin lead directly into my DX-100. The Heath DX-100 would match from about 20 ohms to at least 600 ohms without a tuner. Used a home-brew 2 element 15 meter beam built out of the August 1959 issue of QST for 15.

Glen, K9STH

4. N0XU

N0XU Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K9STH @ July 22 2002,14:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">By the way, I was 15 at the time, put up the antenna at about 3 AM, in over 3 feet of snow, in a blizzard! That was in 1959. The antenna was still up when my mother sold the property in 1989![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Glen, you *are* the alpha geek....;-)

73 de Drew N0XU

5. KC2JCA

KC2JCA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I love wire.
    Wire is your friend.

I went to Home Depot and purchased enough 14ga solid wire to build a 15 meter dipole. Got a pvc &quot;T&quot; fitting, ran rg-58 coax to it, filled the &quot;T&quot; with black silicon sealant. Found out that my HW8, on 15 meters, takes out my TV and I could never find any activity on 15 meters anyway.

So, I went to Home Depot and bought a bundle of that low voltage zip cord. I cut a section 22 feet long, unzipped it and soldered each piece to the ends of the original solid wire dipole. Then found a couple of new mounting points and created my &quot;VertiSlopaHorizontaPole&quot; for 40 meters. QSO'd Las Vegas from New Jersey with 1 watt.

Later I decided to take the plunge into 80 meters, so I had enough of that low voltage zip cord left over to call it random wire. Borrowed a wrist rocket, launched it straight up 50' and back down at a 45 degree angle to a fence. Hooked it up to an HFT9A Heathkit tuner (the counterpoise is an 8 foot grounding rod... and probably most of my Florida Room structure) and am now working 80 meters.

Black wire is hidden in all my trees. Hams come by and it takes them awhile to actually locate my antennas.

I love wire.
    Wire is your friend.

72, Jim - kc2jca

6. W0BKR

W0BKR Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K9STH @ July 23 2002,13:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I heard a contest on 160 meters and wanted to get in on it.  By the way, I was 15 at the time, put up the antenna at about 3 AM, in over 3 feet of snow, in a blizzard!  That was in 1959.  The antenna was still up when my mother sold the property in 1989!

Glen, K9STH[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That Glen, is the best time to do antenna work!
    Snow storms, late at nite, spur of the moment.  They always seem to work better then those &quot;planned&quot; antenna projects! [​IMG]

7. WD8JMM

WD8JMM Ham Member QRZ Page

When I decided to get back on the lowbands this year, I bought an FT-100D. Nice little radio, does everything I ever wanted it to, and more. Unfortunately, I live on a very small city lot, in a rented house. The main antenna structure is a 2m ringo on top of 30 feet of Radio Shack mastpipe lashed to the back of the house.

So, on to the HF bands. I've always been partial to 80 &amp; 40, ever since I used to do the 'late night' shift with a DX-100 on 80CW years ago. I figured 80 was out of the question with the size of my yard and lack of supporting trees, so that left 40 meters.

To get this bright, shiny, new radio on the air, I tossed about 65 feet of wire out the second story window and sloped it down to an 8 foot chain-link fence at the back of the property. It's fed with the cheap MFJ 'wire-tuner' and the match is less than 1.5 to 1 across the band. So far so good. For those of you not familiar with the FT-100D, it's a multi-band radio, HF and 6/2/440. Two antenna connections, one of which goes to the tuner, the other to my 2m ringo, with approximately 35' of coax.....

Makes a GREAT counterpoise! I managed WAS on 40 in about 1 month, running 100 watts into this contraption.. I don't get GREAT signal reports, but I can usually work what I hear pretty well.

For a shoestring antenna, it's done the job. I plan to put up an inverted vee at some point, fed with balanced line, but this five minute antenna has definitely done the job

Alex
    WD8JMM

8. N7CPC

N7CPC Ham Member QRZ Page

I used detenater wire ( very pure copper ) cut to the twenty meter phone band to make a standard dipole. No balm or tuner. fed with coax. With a twenty five watt FT-301 I had lots of people tell me they didn't believe I was only running twenty five watts! Material used to make a wire antenna makes a lot of difference.

73 de Craig...........N7CPC [​IMG]

9. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have probably thrown away a million feet of solid #14AWG Cu wire in chunks over 100' long.  Think of all the antennas that could have been built with that.

Jim - KB9YFI

10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For N0XU:

When you are 15, have had your general class license for less than 2 months, don't have a driver's license, and the nearest good looking girl is several blocks away, you can be inticed to do &quot;strange&quot; things!

Glen, K9STH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.