ad: dxeng

Best way to learn iambic keying ?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KZ5JO, Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
  1. KZ5JO

KZ5JO Ham Member QRZ Page

In the past I have always used a straight key, but now I have an iambic keyer and am practicing with it.  I have a Tempo iambic keyer and before this week had never used one.  It has DASH on the right side, and DOT on left.  I will be using it with my right hand.

EDIT: and a 2nd question: If I am going to use the keyer with my right hand should the DASH be used on the RIGHT side or the LEFT side ? Which side is normal for a person sending a DASH ?

I am able to read and copy morse code at 25-30+ wpm without a problem but have never had a bug or iambic keyer before this week.

Any assistance in appreciated about a place on the internet which has some files or instructions for learning to use an iambic keyer - PLEASE post any info here to assist me in approaching this new learning experience.  I will practice.

Thanks in advance for any posts.
    Cliff - KE5EZQ
  2. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

You may find THIS helpful.  Click on the iambic keying links.

The operative word is "practice".  You can't learn how to actually send on an iambic keyer simply by reading something on the Internet any more than you can pick up a violin for the first time and play a Brahms concerto after reading about it.

You might also use Google and search for "iambic morse code characters".  Good luck!
  3. W3GER

W3GER Ham Member QRZ Page

4. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

Start slow, practice and push yourself to go faster each time while making sure your sending is still good quality.  Since you can copy 25-30wpm, you know waht good code sounds like.  Record yourself if needed.

All the online FAQs and hints and everything else can't replace you taking hold of the paddle and just doing it.

Edit note: I just read the FAQ on the difference between Mode A and Mode B iambic. It occurs to me, I guess I don't make use of the iambic feature but I never realised that. I've never run into an "issue" with this Mode deal. My first electronic keyer was a non-iambic homebrewed version of the TO keyer. My next, and one that I still have, is a homebrewed Accukeyer from the 1976 ARRL Handbook.

Again, start slow and practice.
  5. KZ5JO

Thanks, and please send my added (editied) question about which side is normal for a DASH ?
  6. AG3Y

AG3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

YOU CAN'T ? ? ? ?     Well, Darn, I guess that must be the reason that I never COULD get that darn Brahms Concerto nailed down !  I always got messed up where it goes "doodle doodle dee dee dee !"   [​IMG]  [​IMG]

BTW, to answer the question about which side is "normal" for dashes and dots- -  Right hand Vibroplexes were always set up to key dots with the thumb and manual dashes with the index finger.  Most people learn to send with electric keys the same way.  So if you are going to send left-handed, it would be best to wire your paddles ( or set a "reverse" switch in your keyer ) accordingly!  

Good luck  73 Jim
  7. KZ5JO

Jim and all.

OK, dits with the thumb. Good - and that is the way I have been practicing.

Thanks, and with lots of practice and more practice I will make it.
  8. NZ3M

NZ3M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was getting the hang of it, I would talk to myself alot. [​IMG]

Soon it will be connected to your brain, and you will be suprised at how fast you can send with one.

9. K3STX

K3STX Ham Member QRZ Page

Since you are not fixed into type A or B iambic keying yet, I would start off with type A. It has a kind of "auto-send" where the keyer will send the opposite of the last key punched. It allows you to let go of the paddles earlier, I think it would be easier to send fast code with it, but after 25 years of type B iambic keying I simply can NOT make the switch. I tried for about a month, then gave up.

And for goodness sake, actually use the paddles in iambic mode, don't simply slap them to the right or left as if they were a single paddle keyer (I think most people actually do this).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.