Best VHF / UHF All Mode Rigs

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC8VWM, Aug 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KE4VNC

KE4VNC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an ic-7000, ic-290h, and kenwood tm-255a. The antenna/feedline is really what matters and is where your money and engineering should be focused.
    Solely based on its versatility I'd have to recommend the 7000 if you're interested in operation other than as a base. There's very little activity in my area on vhf ssb so don't be surprised if it's hit or miss, in fact I can't recall talking to someone without being the one to call cq. Congrats for trying something different though, weak-signal work is a lot of fun, especially mobile.

2. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a Kenwood TS-590S on 6 meters, with a legal limit pair of 3-500Z's amplifier. On 2 meters an Icom 251A with THP 80 watt solid state amplifier.

3. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, come on guys, the Yaesu FT-847; a DC to Light rig + Satellite.

K2WH

4. KG6UTS

KG6UTS Ham Member QRZ Page

old goodie

I really like the 736R, mine has 2/440 and 6. I've used it for repeaters and SSB with a 6 meter amp for 100 Watts. The little 857D is OK as a portable using an ELK 2/440 log-periodic and 6 meter squalo and delta loop. The 736R parts do cost a lot and aren't easy to find.

EdZ KG6UTS
    Ocean Beach/Borrego Springs

5. KG5UN

KG5UN Ham Member QRZ Page

My stable:
    Icom-7100
    Yaesu FT-100
    Icom IC-202
    Icom IC-502
    Icom IC-451

All of them work well for me.

6. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I use an RTL-SDR. Basically a TV-tuner turned into a 24mhz to 1.7ghz all-mode receiver. No transmit, but most of where I listen I can't transmit anyway.

For about $15 you can get a really good experience in software defined radio.

What makes up most of my shack now:
    k2ncc2014RTLSDRhamshackpic0[1].jpg

Recent videos are some of what I do with my "dongle", and the rest of HF with an upconverter:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/k2nccvids/videos

Like N9DG said above, I'll never go back to non-SDR rigs. That would be like going from high-speed fiber-optic Internet connection back to a dial-up modem!

7. WK9U

WK9U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu FT-847
    Icom IC-7000
    Swap some filters and/or use them properly and all is well.

8. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I gotta say, with an SDR, you'll never have to buy another $200 filter.

I know some of you think that adding a computer to a radio somehow makes it less ham radio, but you're only doing yourself a disservice.

If you're not afraid of your computer, software-defined rigs are in a class above and all to themselves. If you haven't tried it in earnest, don't knock it. Those that have, know I'm right.

At the very least, you'll have unlimited filters, pass-band, notches, and a waterfall wider than the tiny 3k USB you currently have. Voice on an SDR, zoomed out, looks more like a PSK31 signal. Imagine being able to spot 3megs+ of signal at-a-glance. Some SDRs can see entire bands. Some entire multiple bands. Depends on what you're willing to spend for a hobby.

Still, cheaper than owning a boat! 8)

At the very least, the efficiency should convince you. Granted, it's not best for all circumstances, but if all you're doing is PTT or clicking a couple of pieces of metal together, you're so short-changing yourself. This hobby has WAY more available to experiment with than any one of us individually ever will do.

jt65pskrttysdrconsole[1].PNG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.