ad: hrd-2

Best Travel Trailer - mobile ham shack?

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by N1KTJ, Jan 29, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been a minimalist in the RV; which is a QRP Labs QCX, a shortened vertical (base loaded 17' vert on 40M) and a a sealed lead acid battery. I also bring a dipole along in case I can use it.

The RV we run is a Winnebago Travato Class B. I do not have much pack space. In the down time right now I am constructing a more durable vertical, and if I can do OK in rig horse trading, hope to go back out with a radio with more than QRP power and the ability to run more than one band. I am a CW guy, so my needs are pretty simple.

We are out on the road close to 1/3 of the time.

Jim
    KF9VV

WN1MB likes this.
  2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

What? Are you guys kidding me? Nothing beats Max Fenig's Airstream from the X-files when it comes to a HAM Trailer.... with it's matching Ford Station Wagon upload_2018-12-11_11-31-13.png

Attached Files:

K0PIR and WD5IKX like this.
  3. KS3O

KS3O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My XYL (K3TBD) and I just bought a Casita Independence and plan to use her as a mobile ham shack/flop house for Field Day, etc. We have been looking at them for a while, and were trying to figure out when in our lives we had time to go to TX to pick up a new one. Well, fate was kind, and the exact one we wanted, with the exact upgrades we would have made, came up for sale less than 5 miles from our house. I guess we bought an Independence on Independence Day. I realize this thread is a couple years old, but I hope this message finds you well and that you can share some secrets of how to best use the Casita as a ham shack.

Cheers!
    Scott

WD5IKX likes this.
  4. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

Still having a great time in my Casita doing radio and astronomy. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have. It will allow you to get to some really great placed to operate. Remote off the grid spots often have little RF noise which is a pleasure.

Imaging at Ft Griffin.JPG

John WD5IKX

K0PIR, US7IGN, W7CJD and 3 others like this.
  5. KS3O

KS3O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Love the photo! We are looking forward to boondocking with the Casita. The combination of the 4Runner and the high lift axle on the Casita should allow us to get to some interesting places.

WD5IKX likes this.
  6. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it is no fun having to find pull-thru parking or a suitable parking spot.

Walmart parking lot is accommodating, however I do not want to see USA from a Walmart parking lot.

I like dry camping.

I found a US Forest Service approved small toilet for kayaking: Eco-Safe. http://www.eco-safe.net/ I asked for no chemicals included.

The U.S. Forest Ranger in Arizona was so pleased, he marked the map with primitive camping sites, abandoned cabins, and hot springs.

The question is: what do you want to do?

..private campgrounds, public campgrounds, or dry camping.

I have a 16' Cardinal travel trailer, considered a "hunter's trailer, I have outfitted with everything this radio amateur could desire.

I even have a hot shower.

If I did it again?

I would start with a motorcoach I can park anywhere. There are custom-builders that will outfit one nicely.

The amateur radio choices are up to you.

I chose 4 solar panels, all shielded cable, and fully 12 VDC system.

I can hook-up to 110 VAC - but it is not required.

If you can manage, a van with an awning and/or a tent topper is a nice option.

7. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

What kind of a camper would I recommend? One in which you will be comfortable. The radio equipment can be used in all of them. You may have interference problems but that's not the camper, it's how it's equipped.
    Just as an aside... I use the power supply from a typical camper here at home to run the radio stuff, works just dandy, isn't noisy, and definitely cheaper than Astron. It's a switching supply so is maybe 6 x 10 x 4 inches, maybe 5 - 6 pounds, and 55 amp continuous. It's supposed to power the 12 volt system when a camper is on shore-power. Have used it to start a car with a dead battery so it's 'stout'.