ad: wmr-1

Best cooler for the cash

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5INC, May 19, 2017 at 7:00 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-assoc
  1. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For the folks who take coolers with them on AR outings, such as on Field Day, what cooler do you use and does the model work well? Does it retain ice for long periods of time and keep things cold? I bought a Igloo Sportsman 55 Qt. model unit and it works fantastic. A lot cheaper then the new guys on the block like Yeti, Orca and Grizzly brand models and retains ice for over 5 days in very hot Tx weather. The cooler from time to time gets filled up with Dos Equos beer and plenty of ice when having a BBQ here at the house. I like to drink my beer ice cold and the Igloo guy sure does make that happen. A little beefy at over 40 lbs empty but it sure does work. Igloo is still tough to beat.

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Coleman 82 Quart Xtreme (White Marine Version) and for the money it works out pretty well. I also have an Igloo brand which sometimes I prefer over the Coleman because it's smaller, it's on wheels and it has a retractable handle so you can pull it around.

However, when the Coleman is fully loaded, it requires a human forklift to move it around. No wheels, no retractable handle and it's kinda like slugging a pair of R-390A boatanchors around.

One thing I noticed though is the larger the cooler, the longer the ice will last inside. So I try to plan things accordingly.

I also keep it stored in the shade whenever possible. Nope, that's not always possible. :)

Someone compared coolers and put different ones to the test at this link:

http://www.al.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2016/08/do_expensive_coolers_hold_ice.html

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 7:41 PM
    NL7W likes this.
  3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like y'all either buy too much beer, or drink too slow. When the old "Steel Belted" coolers got close to triple-digit prices, I opted for the cheap ones. Never have run out of ice before I ran out of beer, though.

I wish I would have saved the old galvanized cooler from my aunt's house -- it was insulated with cork.

4. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

it might sound funny... but you know those big round orange coolers you see on the back of work trucks? They are usually for water. Those are the best coolers I have ever used. I have had those things hold ice for days longer than other coolers. Now I know its a bit smaller than normal but you could easily fit a few days worth of sammiches and tasty beverages for a person in one. Two people? Two coolers.

I think part of why they work so good is because they are screw tops. They screw down onto a rubber o ring and it keeps the cold in better than the typical pop open cooler.

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is that even possible? :D Since there is a no drinking and driving policy here at the QTH there must be enough bought the 1st time with no extra trips. Designated drivers pick up the participants, so no problems come about. Start out with 2 to 3 cases, depending on the number of people and go from there. The crew will make it back Sunday most times, to make sure there is nothing wasted if any survivors made it thru Saturday unscathed. ;)

6. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm. I'll have to sit down and crunch some numbers, but right off the top of my head, I would say that the ratio of surface area to volume of a cylinder is less than that of a rectangular prism. In other words, there's less surface area for a given amount of ice, meaning that it won't melt as fast.

KK6NOH and KC8VWM like this.
  7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Never drink in public, Unless you want a change of clothes with numbers.

8. N4OGW

N4OGW Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a fun math problem. It does depend on the height of the cylinder- taller cylinders will be worse than the prism. The best would be to find a spherical cooler :)

Tor
    N4OGW

KC8VWM likes this.
  9. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

you really should get out more. check your local paper for a beerfest and go enjoy yourself with the other rational adults in public.

Try a Gose. They're frikken delicious.

10. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

i use any old cooler. put rock salt in the ice if you want really really cold beer.

when on-the-go (motorcycle rallys), we usually just fill a trashbag with ice/salt and cans of beer. poke a few holes in the bag... throw the empties back in when finished: its practically a self-cleaning party.

ps we don't sip beer at rallys. long-term cooling is not needed.

KF5FEI and W5INC like this.