Best Charities to donate too

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by W5INC, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member

I donate to a few worthwhile charities and look for new endeavors that actually produce end results for the folks that need the charities help. I detest charities that have huge paydays for the folks that run the charity. ST. Judes is 1 of my favorities and Danny Thomas built himself a great legacy that has helped many children in the 50 years they have been around. If there is a Heaven, Danny has a special place in it, that he justly deserves IMO. Here is Danny's story on founding St. Judes Childrens Hospital.

" More than 70 years ago, Danny Thomas, then a struggling young entertainer with a baby on the way, visited a Detroit church and was so moved during the Mass, he placed his last $7 in the collection box. When he realized what he'd done, Danny prayed for a way to pay the looming hospital bills. The next day, he was offered a small part that would pay 10 times the amount he'd given to the church. Danny had experienced the power of prayer.
    Two years later, Danny had achieved moderate acting success in Detroit, but he was struggling to take his career to the next level. Once again, he turned to the church. Praying to St. Jude Thaddeus, the patron saint of hopeless causes, Danny asked the saint to "help me find my way in life, and I will build you a shrine."

His career took a turn for the better, and soon he moved his family to Chicago to pursue career offers. A few years later, at another turning point in his life, Danny visited a church and remembered his pledge to St. Jude. Again he prayed to St. Jude and repeated his pledge to build a shrine to the saint if he would show him the way.

In the years that followed, Danny's career flourished through films and television, and he became an internationally known entertainer. He remembered his pledge to build a shrine to St. Jude.
    In the early 1950s, Danny began discussing with friends what concrete form his vow might take. Gradually, the idea of a children's hospital, possibly in Memphis, Tennessee, took shape. In 1955, Danny Thomas and a group of Memphis businessmen who had agreed to help support his dream seized on the idea of creating a unique research hospital devoted to curing catastrophic diseases in children. More than just a treatment facility, this would be a research center for the children of the world.

Danny started raising money for his vision of St. Jude in the early 1950s. By 1955, the local business leaders who had joined his cause began area fundraising efforts, supplementing Danny's benefit shows that brought scores of major entertainment stars to Memphis. Often accompanied by his wife, Rose Marie, Danny crisscrossed the United States by car, sharing his dream and raising funds at meetings and benefits. The pace was so hectic that Danny Thomas and his wife once visited 28 cities in 32 days. Although Danny Thomas and his friends raised the money to build the hospital, they now faced the daunting task of funding its annual operation.

To solve this problem, Danny, of Lebanese descent, turned to his fellow Americans of Arabic-speaking heritage. Believing deeply that these Americans should, as a group, thank the United States for the gifts of freedom given their parents, Danny also felt the support of St. Jude would be a noble way of honoring his immigrant forefathers who had come to America.

Danny's request struck a responsive chord. In 1957, 100 representatives of the Arab-American community met in Chicago to form ALSAC[SUP]®[/SUP] with a sole purpose of raising funds for the support of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
    Since that time, with national headquarters in Memphis and regional offices throughout the United States, ALSAC has assumed full responsibility for all the hospital's fundraising efforts, raising hundreds of millions annually through benefits and solicitation drives among Americans of all ethnic, religious and racial backgrounds. Today, ALSAC is the nation's second largest health-care charity* and is supported by the efforts of more than 1 million volunteers nationwide.

Through striking improvements in the care of pediatric leukemias and numerous forms of solid tumors, St. Jude—which now has a daily operating cost of $1.8 million—has brought about improved health care for children all over the world. St. Jude's physicians and scientists have pioneered treatments that have helped push the overall survival rates for childhood cancers from less than 20 percent when the hospital opened in 1962 to 80 percent today.

From a promise of "Help me find my way in life, and I will build you a shrine" to the fulfillment of his dream, Danny lived to see his little hospital become an international beacon of hope for the catastrophically ill children of the world. The founder of St. Jude and ALSAC died on February 6, 1991, just two days after joining patients, parents and employees to celebrate the hospital's 29th anniversary. He was laid to rest in a family crypt at the Danny Thomas/ALSAC Pavilion on the grounds of the hospital. On July 12, 2000, his wife, Rose Marie, passed away and now lies with her beloved husband in the hospital's Memorial Garden. Today, their children, Marlo, Terre and Tony, carry on their parents' work and remain a driving force in fulfilling their father's mission. Danny Thomas is gone, but his dream lives on."

2. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator

I frequently donate to either Texas Scottish Rite Children's Hospital or to the Shriners Hospitals for Children. Both have very low overhead meaning a lot of the money actually goes where it helps.

St Jude's is also a very noble cause. My grandson who lives in Mexico has a type of cancer and the clinic where he is being treated there is getting their medicine from St. Jude's Hospital.

3. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member

I'm a big fan of St. Jude's, Make a Wish, and Wounded Warriors.
    The Make a Wish foundation helped my niece when she was little and suffering from a type of lymphoma.
    She has been in remission for many years now and is on the swim team at UCSB.

4. WB5HQH

WB5HQH Ham Member

go to your local charity, like a food bank etc. Give money/time and you will know you are not paying someone to sit behind a desk drawing hundred of thousands in salary and the people needing the help getting the 10-30 percent of the take. There are plenty of local needs that are addressable.

5. KG6MZS

KG6MZS Premium Subscriber

One thing to keep in mind is that overhead is not all there is to charity. Using overhead blindly as a criteria has cause a phenomenal amount of waste. Look at it this way, if a charity funnels a billion dollars of cash at people in worthless programs and claims only 1% overhead, that's still ten million bucks. A charity that spends a little money on overhead and develops truly effective relief might have a higher percentage overhead, but do more good.

Overhead alone as a criteria has done a great disservice to charity.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

I'm a supporter of Save the Hams. We only have one member thus far, but membership is open.

If you send me money, I'll make sure it gets spent on ham radio, like maybe a new rig for me.

Thanks for your support.

7. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber

Charity begins at home.
    I'm for cutting off all foreign aide (Bribes) till we get our own house in order.

8. WA3PRR

WA3PRR XML Subscriber

My charity money goes largely to the Salvation Army. When I was 7, a huge flood tore up the entire area where we lived. A lot of people got killed, but my family was lucky and just had our house completely gutted and spent the next six months cleaning up and rebuilding. The Salvation Army people were in the area every day, giving out everything from hot meals to clothing to cleanup help. I try to pay them back as often and as generously as I can.

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/

The other charity I try to give to is the Blind Cat Rescue & Sanctuary. I had a half-blind cat who was probably my best friend in the world, so I donate here and there in her memory.

http://blindcatrescue.com/

9. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member

Medecines San Frontieres and Amnesty International. And I also give occaisionally to local ones, as well as supporting the CIEH (my professional body) in its efforts to get fresh water and sanitation to villages in the Third World, and to develop/sponsor environmentally freindly technologies to do so.

10. AE5DX

AE5DX Premium Subscriber

Is there any charity for better grammar/spelling? jk ;)

Bless you for giving, no matter who or where :)

11. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member

I was thinking a bottle of Glenlivet would have been better then money, for saving that Ham. :D

12. W4HAY

W4HAY Subscriber

Shriner's Hospitals, Masonic Children's Homes, Wounded Warriors.

13. N7GH

N7GH XML Subscriber

Hopefully soon, our 501.c.3 will come through and you can donate, as a tax deductible contribution, to the Grays Harbor Amateur Radio Club to help us promote education and emergency readiness in and around the Grays Harbor area.

14. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber

Don't you all forget the WF7A BMW Motorcycle Fund; all your donations will be cheerfully accepted.

15. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member

Knights of Columbus do massive amounts of charitable work and financial support to many worthwhile programs all over the world, so I give to them, my church, my Boy Scout Council, and the local food pantry. Probably more of my time than my cash.

16. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber

Some day I'm gonna write a book. (OK, maybe that's a pipe dream)

I would devote an entire chapter on the unbelievable, sickening misuse of UN money being spent overseas on bribes & corruption that I witnessed first hand..................Absolutely staggering.

Tens of millions of dollars a month around the world? More, less, who knows? Bet I personally saw more than a million bucks (probably a lot more) in "unaccounted items" get used to pay off people/groups.

You DO know how the UN is funded, right?

Tom KCØW

17. W2ILP

W2ILP Ham Member

If your parents are alive and worse off than you, donate to them.
    If you have children and/or grand-children who are or will be worse off then you donate to them.
    If neither of above applies to you, donate to whatever you choose to donate to and be sure to get a receipt, so that you can use it as a tax deduction.

Wex, w2ilp (Internally Loyal Philanthropist) Charity begins in the home.

18. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member

Habitat for Humanity
    Salvation Army (Put a nickle in the drum!)
    Doctors without Borders

I like Salvation Army - back in CA, the Goodwill was actually snooty about what donations were acceptable - I guess people dumped trash on them from time to time, but they would not even take good quality books at one time.

Salvation army takes everything - last time I cleaned out my closet, they got 20 bags of good quality clothing including sweaters, pants dress and casual shirts, two sets of motorcycle leathers, other misc motorcycle stuff like tank and saddle bags - it was quite a haul.

Although I'm told much of the clothing goes overseas after being sorted thru.

19. KW4MW

KW4MW Ham Member

St. Judes
    Salvation Army
    Wounded Warriors
    Disabled American Vets

But I wish that they would all quit sending me address labels.
    I already have enough to last me long after I shuffle off this mortal coil.

20. W4HAY

W4HAY Subscriber

If you have old clothes you're getting rid of, check with your hospital ER. They sometimes have to cut clothing from accident victims and need temporary replacements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.