Best 2 meter/440 Antenna?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WX9RLT, May 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WX9RLT

WX9RLT Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the BEST 2 meter/440 antenna?
    Looking for high DBI, low swr, etc.....

Price is not an issue.

Note: I currently run a tram 1480 dual band antenna. I am pretty happy with it.

I just want to hear other peoples opinion on other antennas.

2. KF6A

KF6A Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no such thing as "the best" antenna. Some antennas may do the job you require "better" than other antennas, but that also depends on exactly what one is trying to do.

You say you are happy with what you currently use. The question that needs to be asked is you are happy with it in comparison to what?

NH7RO likes this.
  3. N8EKT

N8EKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've tried the top of the line Comet and Diamond dual banders and neither even come CLOSE
    to the quality of the Hustler G6-270R
    The other ham grade antennas simply wont last and will develop several failures if they aren't drastically modified

The Hustler has a 25 year lifespan and can withstand a hurricane
    If you get 5 or 6 years out of the others consider yourself lucky and they will easily snap in high winds and ice storms

4. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Ham Member QRZ Page

I disagree about the Diamond antennas. I have two verticals, one that is just 2 meters that I've had for about 15 years and one that is 2/70cm that I've had for about 6 or 7 years. Both are still working perfectly, even though the 15 year one laid on top of my patio cover roof for a number of those years. I've had various smaller Diamond antennas over the years and they also did well. Diamond makes a good antenna... at least from my experience.

Mike

5. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Asking a group of customers which "thing" is best is an exercise in futility. Rarely have any of the customers done actual comparisons of the "things" from the various "thing" manufacturers, and even less rare are "A-thing" to "B-thing" comparisons with scientifically compiled data, and a large enough sample size to be statistically valid.

Therefore, most customers have no valid grounds on which to say "A-thing" is better than "B-thing." They can tell you only of their personal experiences. This is the flaw in thst other widely "read" ham radio Internet site. And, as we have just seen, it happens here, too.

BTW, I have liked the Larsen antenna products I have seen and/or used. A lot.

NH7RO likes this.
  6. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you want horizontal or vertical polarization? (are you using SSB/CW or FM?)

You say you want dBi, meaning gain. I hope you're aware that an antenna can only produce positive gain in a favored direction at the expense of negative gain (loss) in other direction(s). Are you primarily interested in reaching a fixed direction? Or are you willing to put your antenna on a rotor to point it at your target?

Many antennas have a pattern that is circular in the azimuth, but squeezed out toward the horizon in elevation, thus giving some gain toward the horizon at the expense of performance upwards and downwards. This won't require a rotor. This is usually a good deal, but be aware that it doesn't work well for stations that are well above you, such as aeronautical mobiles, or even sometimes terrestrial repeaters in mountainous areas (but I see you're in Illinois, where I grew up).

How much maintenance are you going to do? Do you want a basic simple rugged antenna that you can install and forget for 20 years, or would you prefer a more complex antenna that gets high performance but may not maintain that performance for too many years when exposed to weather?

Finally, I'll say that, on VHF/UHF, height is (almost) everything. A simple, basic antenna that's placed up high will nearly always outperform a super-duper expensive high gain antenna that's low. Also, don't forget to budget for low-loss coax.

NH7RO likes this.
  7. KC9ZHR

KC9ZHR Ham Member QRZ Page

The thing to keep in mind here is that physics dont change.....for a given antenna length you can still only cram x number of co-linear phases in there. I have had a tram 1480 before and it worked good for the money. I dont really see you getting a significant performance boost from any other fiberglass co-linear.

You are at the point we need to talk about height and coax length/quality.....how long is your coax run and what coax type is it?

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There isn't any "best."

No matter what anyone comes up with, there's something better.:)

9. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

I was about to express my opinion that the WB2 living happily in Los Angeles was the best amateur radio operator in the world...then I read your post above...hmmm.

10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Most gain for the buck directional antenna is a Yagi or even stacked Yagis.
    For surviving on top of a mountainttop site or a big tower in harsh climate, some of the commercial rated Phelps Dodge or Cellwave etc...VHF and UHF vertical antennas can cost over a thousand bucks but last 20 years.