Behavior in pileups

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by N5CM, Feb 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard an example of that yesterday.

2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

hope it wasnt me! I have acquaintances down at PJ2T and an across them yesterday on 20m so chatted for a minute - - dont think PJ2 is overly rare though so doubt I caused anyone much frustration...

3. W7DCM

It wasn't PJ2T. It was someone in Brazil.

At the Southern AZ DX Association meeting this month, our speaker was someone who was down at PJ2T last November.

You're right, PJ2T is not overly rare.

4. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With band conditions being what they are these days, any long distance contact should be considered rare and enjoyable.

5. W7DCM

I've been heard joking that Texas is considered DX.

6. N5WVR

N5WVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Vermont is certainly seen as DX, given how popular we are when we get on HF. :)

W7DCM likes this.
  7. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Everyone in Vermont is either a Forest Ranger or Ski Instructor. Thus, they are never indoors long enough to operate a ham radio! :D

8. K5AMT

K5AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've heard all manner of bad behavior in pileups...

The continuous tuner-upper.
    The yeller repeating their call over and over.
    The whistler.
    The Band Cops who interject over a QSO to try and police the frequency.
    The "UP" "UP" "UP" guy..
    The Burper, that's wonderful to hear..
    The Farter, also sounds wonderful in a headset, how'd you like to buy that used Mic here on QRZ...
    The 59'er who has to have the station repeat the call several times before they get it sorted out..
    The OM who can't hear..
    The OM who takes 30 seconds to give their call phonetically..

I'm sure it's been going on since the dawn of Amateur Radio, nowadays people expect instant gratification when working a pileup. It just doesn't work that way...it can try your patience. Best to walk away for a bit and come back.

W7EDC likes this.
  9. W7DCM

I feel the need to vent about something I observed this weekend.

An American missionary out there in DX land was ragchewing with a friend of his. He wasn't in too terribly a difficult country and he wasn't trying to work a pileup or even to get one going. He was talking to someone he obviously knew from his hometown, and the conversation was ongoing.

Throughout this, several calls of "this is Wx(LID) standing by!" "Kx(SOB)!" and the like......while the QSO was in progress.

Cheese Louise, that country is NOT way up there in the "most wanted" and is in no danger of getting there.

Man is evolving into ape................

10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Compared with some antics, what you describe seems rather polite. Regardless, dropping a call sign isn’t anything new and has been a dubious practice since the AM days. Our evolution is progressing satisfactorily.