Behavior in pileups

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by N5CM, Feb 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll assume that you're using Split to operate in a pileup (as opposed to RIT or XIT). If you're still using the TS-590S mentioned on your QRZ page, pressing its TF-Set button will temporarily swap your RX and TX frequencies, allowing you to listen to your TX frequency and change it if desired. In a CW pileup, you might start with your TX frequency 1 KHz above your RX frequency (the DX station's TX frequency). When the DX station makes a call, press and hold TF-Set and tune around the pileup in search of the called station. If you find it, then move your TX frequency to where you think the DX will next listen, and release TF-Set so that you are again listening to the DX station. When appropriate, send your callsign.

This will be awkward at first. Practice, practice, practice...

UA6JD and KJ4VTH like this.
  2. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Old Man himself, Hiram Percy Maxim wrote of Rotten Air way back in the day. In our hobby, ever since the beginning, it comes with the territory.

He kept sending UP1 after each TU, so after several attempts up a few KHz, I got on exactly +1 (on 7004), and got in on the second try.

He kept responding to W9WEF--had to repeat my call 3 times--slowly--before it finally got copied correctly, through all that QRM. But when they hear you through such a pileup, that's good evidence that you have an effective station. :cool:

Their signal was still Q-5 well into daylight hours, so it's doubtful if any of them weren't hearing the station. A strong DX station is bound to create a huge pileup.

At least one time this morning, NA was repeated several times in succession, presumably to fend off the other continents that were trying to get in.

I use a B&W ME165-G dummy load / power meter/ SWR bridge (available from Fair Radio, in Lima, OH).
    upload_2019-2-14_17-1-7.jpeg
    Operating into the 50 ohm load, the amp can be tuned. Then after setting full scale, just a minuscule amount of power is fed into the bridge, so the antenna tuner can be adjusted for best match, without QRMing anyone (of course it's done away from the DX frequency, just in case).

Me too, and getting through that massive pileup makes it seem all the more rewarding. :) Amazing what a little IC-706 (with 250 Hz CW filter) driving a 500 w amp into an inverted L can do under the right condx. :cool:

Jim​

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    W7UUU likes this.
  3. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

Glad you awoke from your long sleep...yes...things have changed, not just in amateur radio DX...civility is a thing of the past it seems in many areas...just have to do the best you can...

W7UUU likes this.
  4. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

I use a B/W 334a wattmeter and dummy load...allows me to tune the amp to very close proximity...great station accessory...

W9JEF likes this.
  5. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My belief is that many of the people we hear sending their calls constantly on top of a pileup cannot actually hear the DX; they have seen on some spotting site or on social media that the DX is working the pileup on that frequency; so they just jump on there and start calling.

If everyone would follow the old rule of "Don't call the DX unless you can hear it!," I think most pileups would become one-third to one-half the size they are now.

N0TZU, WA7PRC and W7UUU like this.
  6. K4HX

K4HX Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad but true.

But I've read here that all CW Ops are FB and Fone Ops are dummies. So, this poor behavior must be a myth.

WU8Y likes this.
  7. WO7R

WO7R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe that some people that just call and call have no idea how to work the pileup. They may hear the DX just fine, but cannot figure out where the DX is listening for one of two reasons:

1. No one ever showed them how and they didn't figure it out on their own. So, the plant themselves on a frequency and resign themselves to a very long outing.

2. They are in the "skip zone" and can only hear the DX. See #1.

Yes, there are also some that can't hear anything and are applying, fallaciously, the "blind squirrel" theory of DXing. Never works, but try and talk them out of it.

8. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just ran across 7P8LB on 40m CW.... oh my. ... :confused:

9. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm there right now. People just keep sending their calls. DX op sends DL4??, and 50 ops from the U.S. starting dropping their calls. I suppose they figure all the excess QRM has some magic catalytic effect and will help the DX op to work through the pileup efficiently.

10. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I KNOW! I was shocked - he clearly would send part of a call but then donzens would just keep calling. Sadly, it worked for some of them. He gave up on the partial call and worked one of the others. Several people just kept sending their call over and over without a pause. Not sure how that's supposed to work... but it did. The guy I heard doing it got his contact.

Guess I need to learn new tactics