Beginning home-brew projects

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KM4LKC, Feb 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

Stand, walk, run, race.

WA7PRC likes this.
  2. KM4LKC

KM4LKC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the videos and suggestions. It looks like you've produced quite the collection of videos on your youtube site. Well done! I'll have fun looking around the links.

3. KM4LKC

Great information here.

Most of the group falls into the beginner status. We hope to have an EE lead us through some of the projects. Luckily, we've found three members in our club that may be interested in helping us.

Appreciate the links and have added those to KI6J's test equipment list.

4. KM4LKC

You are sooo right. Get 6 people together and it quickly turns into a three-legged race combined with the wheelbarrow event from my elementary school days :D

5. VK2TIL

VK2TIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Apropos test equipment, the single most-useful item that I've used for the kind of work that you contemplate is my home-made AD8307 power meter;

[​IMG]

Versions are described in EMRFD and the accompanying CD; I built mine from Bob Kopski's more-elaborate design (QEX, May/Jun 2002) which has both analogue & digital readouts.

It's nice to homebrew this kind of thing but, in this case, I suggest that you buy (horrors!) such a power meter; there used to be kits for the digital version but many seem to have been discontinued.

Look here;

http://www.vk3aqzkits.com/purchase-info/rfpm1-kit/

This is a quality product and, with the present weak A$, a very good buy for US people; postage adds to the cost but Lou keeps it as low as possible and, if you buy some of his other items (eg a second probe, a very useful feature that I wish I'd thought-of when I built mine), it dilutes the postage cost.

A source of RF is required.

Good signal generators are not cheap; they can be home-brewed (there is one such in EMRFD) or simple crystal oscillators can be built; a pin-socket allows the use of crystals of different frequencies.

There are DDS generators that will do a good job if enclosed in a metal case; not the triple-shielding of a HP but OK for general use.

At some point, though, if you get serious, a signal generator will be a necessary purchase.

A diode detector/probe, as mentioned by others, is useful although I've not used the ones that I have very often.

You will build-up equipment as you go, depending upon how serious you get; a power meter and a signal source will get you well-started at present.

6. KM4LKC

7. KM4LKC

Nice work on your home-brew power meter. That's gorgeous. Prices are not too bad for the meters in your link....thanks for the tip.

8. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Ham Member QRZ Page

For a group project you cannot go past The Simple Ceiver by Pete N6QW. There are 22 blog entries that take you through all the design decisions, and provides you with many options along the way. It is well documented, and will take you stage by stage step by step from building the audio amplifier to band pass filter with how to test it along the way.It is hands down the most comprehensive project i have found anywhere on the net and is aimed at people who have never built anything but want to.

http://n6qw.blogspot.com.au/2015/09/moving-on-to-simple-ceiver-project.html

9. KM4LKC

Robert....This is fantastic! It will take some time to read through the blog, but it is exactly the idea I was hoping to find.
    Can't say thanks enough. Thank you for sharing.

VK4FFAB likes this.
  10. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Ham Member QRZ Page

You're welcome. Enjoy the reading, there is a lot of it. HIHI