ad: NI4L-2

Beginner Home QRP Rig

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KN4ICU, Jan 8, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

attitude-is-a-choice-stay-positive-my-friends.jpg

N8AFT likes this.
  2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I always like to find new ops to work with at any speed they want to go.
    The Tech ticket is the way to go for getting into CW in my book....

3. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Go slow acquiring radios till you're sure CW is for you. Maybe borrow a rig to start. You have portions of the hf bands using CW with your tech license. 40m has always been a good QRP band for me. Being a musician really helped me in CW. Its the rhythym, man! Saw your pic n couldnt resist.

KN4ICU likes this.
  4. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm thinking of going with a Yaesu FT450D and a Chameleon zepp all band stealrh dipole.

I'll have all the CW options I need and a radio already in place when I upgrade licenses. It won't be too much more of an investment compared to a full and decent Qrp rig. Might as well just knock it out all at once.

5. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

Spot on about the rhythm. Learning CW hasn't been difficult, even at 30wpm. Hearing everything as rhythms probably made it a lot easier.

6. W4XXV

W4XXV Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like you're off to a great start with the knowledge and skills. I always like to point out that an RTL-SDR is a great and inexpensive ($20 + computer)) way to get into at least *listening* to the HF bands. From there you may be able to find bands/modes that you enjoy most, and can start accumulating equipment to get on those bands for transmit.
    Props to you at 30wpm! I'm learning, and can barely crack 5, but I *am* having fun.
    Good luck, and 72, 73!

KD8ZM likes this.
  7. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

MFJ-9240 on eBay right now at a decent buy it now price... 30m module with it too.
    $165 delivered is a bargain!

8. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Or simply go to the websdr homepage and listen by using other peoples' sdr receivers. Even easier.

9. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What a great tool those websdrs are. Want to do an impromptu "antenna shootout" in your back yard? Not a problem. Wonder how strong your 5 watt SSB signal is vs. a 20 watt signal? QED. And you can record the whole thing!