ad: UR5CDX-1

Become a Centenial member "Oldest Continuously Operating Amateur Radio Club in NAmerica

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AC2FO, Nov 13, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ours, the Milwaukee Radio Amateurs' Club, W9RH, isn't too far away: continuously operating and meeting since January 1917.

We actually have a very nice timeline showing the starting dates of many other clubs: http://www.w9rh.org/documents/MRAC History Edition 2015.pdf

Now if only we could all do something similar to what ARRL did...

2. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It makes them two years late.

And, I'm guessing not continuously operating since inception.

3. AC2FO

AC2FO Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio Corporation of America, which many members of SJRA worked for in Camden NJ

RCA Corporation, founded as the Radio Corporation of America, was an American electronics company in existence from 1919 to 1986

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Stupid snswer. Hahah.

5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

40 Cup coffee percolator?
    Linda-Lou goes to the doctor complaining about the shakes...

Doctor: Do you drink a lot of coffee?

Linda-Lou: No, I spill most of it....
    (Couldnt resist :) )

6. N1CC

N1CC Guest

I retired from Motorola in 1998 and relocated from Albany, where I had been active for 10-Years, most of those I was an officer of AARA. I last saw most of the leadership in August 2004 when Linda (NE5LL) and I had lunch with K2EP, K2XF, WF2B during our honeymoon trip to Albany and New England. Still at that time, AARA had met on a continuous basis for the entire period. Some years they did not meet in July and August, as is the case with a lot of clubs nationwide. Ernie, K2EP can verify this as well as double-check.

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

If the club has an historian and/or a recording secretary depending on the records kept they might indicate information over the years for dates of meetings etc.

8. AC2FO

AC2FO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm...then what is the RCA?

I agree so what was your point Einstein?

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Depending on the time period many SJRA members also worked at the RCA facilities in Cherry Hill and Moorestown NJ .

AC2FO likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

'The RCA is'....not a defunct corporation. We are talking radio clubs. Hence the response.

The claim of longevity seems dubious given the RCA and its founding year.

The SJRA is a vital club and an indication of lifeblood in ham radio. Best to all its members.

Chip W1YW

11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

RCA - The Radio Corporation of America? It was bought by GE in 1986 and later sold off for its parts.

Is there some other RCA that you're referring to? Maybe somebody bought the name - but the RCA founded in 1919 is long gone.

Dave
    W7UUU

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The RCA was founded in 1909. Many SJRA members are in it.

I will not discuss Sarnoff's defunct conglomerate. It is off topic. Banquet Chicken aint a ham radio club.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

No problem. You just have me confused. Is not Sarnoff's RCA "the" RCA? Is there a different one credited apparently being found 10 years earlier than Sarnoff's? If so, please educate me. I have not heard of it is all.

No disrespect meant.

Dave
    W7UUU

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

If you look up radio....club.....america, you will see what I mean. The SJRA guys know this ; one or two are just being cute.

15. W7UUU

Talk about being cute... all ya had to do was post the dang link:

http://radioclubofamerica.org/

Geez - was that so hard? I had not heard of this organization before. Seems David Sarnoff did a better job of promotion. :rolleyes:

Dave
    W7UUU