ad: k1jek

Beating a Horse in Intensive Care:

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WS8E, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

...in case you did not know...that part about " typing SLOW in case you can not READ fast " is an attempt at HUMOR and not to be taken seriously unless you wish to. [​IMG]

2. 2m0bil

2m0bil Ham Member QRZ Page

EP
    No, I don't take it seriously, I found it quite funny.
    As for a sense of humour, every time I look in a mirror I'm glad I have one!

I hope when I am good at code we can have a sked on CW, You probably will need to tap slowly then

Yes I think the code requirement in the U.S. is a good Filter, but I think the ones that are lids will be the same in other aspects of their lifes, the radio only lets them annoy more people

We just have to rise above it

[​IMG]

3. KD4AMG

yep...like I stated in another thread...the deal about LIDS on 75 meters dont carry no weight..as an example ---

Say you tune 75 / 80 meters with your hf rig, the conditions are great for dx and there are a lot of USA stations and stations from other countries using VOICE over the band...you tuen to one rambicious, rude, obnoxious operator hogging a frequency...no one can talk for his rude behavior. You tune on and finally find a station you wish to talk to and you do.

2 points to refer to --
    1) you will remember the " rude, obnoxious " station, because you always remember the negative more than the positive.

2) the station that you DID talk to that said you were " 5 9 9 " lied. He just wanted to say that to make you feel good.

Basic human psychology. Remember the bad more than the good. 500 great stations, one LID...you remember the LID.

I know you disagree with me...I expect a reply...do it now.

4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

EP:

Someone who gives a "599" report on phone doesn't have a clue anyway!

Glen, K9STH

5. N1XHF

N1XHF Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually for once you made sense. [​IMG]

6. KD4AMG

I shall attempt not to do this too often...then it will be expected. [​IMG]

7. 2m0bil

2m0bil Ham Member QRZ Page

Ep
    Sorry took so long to get back..Had meaningful discussions with the significant other about how much time I should spend on my radios/computer...I lost
    As to what you were saying, I work with the public in retail and, we always say "your day is only as good/bad as your first customer"

As for the LID Sorry to disapoint you, but, I agree with you.
    but, don't you think a degree of pity should be felt for the people who have to live them?

I developed this intermittant short term memory loss, which comes with a good LID filter
    one answer to them is what we tend to do this side of the pond, totally ignore them,after a while they tend to give up or move elswhere to get reactions, because I believe they feed their ego on the fact they have upset someone

Unfortunately if there were no idiots... how could you tell the wise people?
    Bill

[​IMG]

8. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill, I wrote the bit below in response to a post by G8ADD. I think it bears repeating here.

I think hams in the UK in general are more disciplined than we are here in the states. There is a large segment of the population here that once they became licensed would lower the bar. I’m not pointing a finger at anyone in particular just making a statement of what I believe to be true. While it can be argued that CW is an outmoded means of communication, it does require some practice to learn it. The thinking here has always been that only those who are serious about becoming an amateur radio operator will spend the time and effort to learn this skill and having done so, would be more likely to respect the privilege since they have vested so much time and energy to earn it.

I’m not saying you don’t have your share of nuts in the UK but the majority of your hams, at least the ones I’ve worked, are as serious about the hobby as I am or more. There is a segment of our population in the US who are simply either unwilling or unable to maintain an appropriate level of self-discipline and behave in an acceptable manner on the radio. This is borne out by listening to the Citizens Band at any time in the US. The group I worry about has no desire to learn anything of significance about radio or electronics but simply want to hook up a store bought radio and amplifier, and create bedlam on the airwaves.

I know there is a large number of posters on this web that will tell me I’m wrong but I can see this happening all to easily here in the states. I would be willing to bet that the majority of amateurs who have been around as long as I have feel the same way and share the same fears. This is not because we are snobs or elitists or afraid of change, etc. etc. It is because we have been around long enough to understand that what some would view as nonsense to be a very real scenario. I hope I didn’t offend anyone, just tossing out something to think about.

9. KD4AMG

dpo...you did good !!

10. KD4AMG

Using C B radio as an example... 99% of the folks who buy them INTEND on just communicating with a few choice friends - smokey reports--shoot the bull - average stuff.

Then they have to get an ECHO MIKE ( Leroy has one and I have to keep with Leroy ), and a fancier rig with a 5 tone roger-beep....and a small amplifier.

Then he needa a radio with more channels, and a bigger amplifier so he can talk OVER Leroy, since Leroy has a " mud duck " radio.

Then comes the base station, with a mobile on a power supply, and a ground plane at the edge of the eave of the house. Then he needs a BASE STATION, with an echo desk mike with a 10-tone-roger-beep and a 50 foot push up pole, along with a better all directional base antenna.

Then he needs a small amplifier in the house.

Then he needs a bigger amplifier and a rig with extra channels ( so he can talk to his mobile unit )..

and it goes on with a tower & beams , etc...etc.....

Do we really NEED those kind of folks on hf ?

Sure we do, amateur radio is not about skill any more, it is numbers....who cares if the operators can not solder a pl-259 connector ?

Who cares if they are all appliance operators ?

Who cares if they got their license through the internet ?

Who cares if no less than 3 of them just read this post ?

IF / when the FCC opens HF up with a new type of license...within 10-20 years folks will be begging the fcc to " tighten up the rules & regulations " to where folks can USE the frequencies like way back in the 20 th century !! They will want the FCC to come up with some " standards " to HELP keep some " undesirables " off the frequencies....something...any thing ---wait ! I have it ! That old " morse code " !! That simple old code that was eliminated around 6 - 15 years after the turn of the century...that is it !!!

and the cycle reverses itself ---- ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.