ad: ProAudio-1

Beating a Horse in Intensive Care:

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WS8E, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WS8E

WS8E Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a snippet from the current ARRL Letter Vol 24, No. 1. regarding tsunami traffic:

Horey Majumdar, VU2HFR, in Calcutta, said improvisation was "the name of the game" in the emergency's aftermath. "Hams had to switch to good old CW
    and switch frequencies from 14.190 and 14.160 MHz to 7.090 MHz," he said. Majumdar noted that hams from all over "have been checking into the VU emergency nets and extending their fullest cooperation in the truest
    spirit of Amateur Radio."

...what happens when theres no one there to receive the code? [​IMG]

2. AF2CW

AF2CW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting the snippet Tom. Unfortunately some will consider what happened
    as an isolated incident and still demand the removal of code, both testing and its use
    on the air. [​IMG]

3. N7AAO

N7AAO Ham Member QRZ Page

File this one under "Expired Equine Flagellation."

Removal of the code test does not mean banning code itself!

There will be people who use code, test or no test. There will be people who refuse to use code, test or no test.

That about sums it up. Let's lock the thread now. [​IMG]

4. AF2CW

True, it doesn't mean banning code itself, however we both know there are those that
    would prefer not to allow code use on any band and open things up for other modes
    that are a bit easier to use. Especially those that call
    others lazy if they are not on 2m SSB.

5. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the words " easier to use " imply that they are LAZY ?

6. AF2CW

No implication meant Robert.

7. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

aybe the EXTRA tests are too easy...perhaps there should be a return of the " 13 - word per minute morse code " test to keep the " EXTRA " less crowded and more dignified.

But of course be sure to "grandfather in " all those who are currently of the EXTRA class license.

Great idea.

Should have been done some time LAST year.

8. N7AAO

I think the pro-code side might want to choose their terms with more care. I got the same sense that Robert did.

9. WS8E

WS8E Ham Member QRZ Page

CW is an aquired taste. If, as is the current situation, there is no requirement to learn it, the vast majority will not learn it. Then, in emergency situations, where it might be necessary to enlist the aid of those who don't pass traffic on a regular basis, and where CW is the most useful mode, if only because the emergency is in the third world, where packet modems or what have you, are unavailable....well you get the point...I think if amateur radio is a "service", learning the code is the least we can do.....

10. N7AAO

You miss one thing.

If the "vast majority" who never acquire the taste are forced to learn it just to pass a test, they are likely to forget it semi-immediately after passing said test. (I know I did.)

Therefore, requiring it to be learned for a test does little to keep active CW ops.

Another pro-code myth shot down. NEXT!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.